major electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major electrical problems

hi all i have been having a lot of trouble here first tack wobble burned out headlight 2 in a month but in new battery old one was over 3 years old . some times headlight stayed on after bike was off checked wires re-heat shrink all wires fix that problem now turn key on no power will not start battery good checked fuses all good with factory fuse block with key on or off one wire has power 1 st one the one to the rear of bike anybody help were to start all wires to fuse block look to be real good thanks all
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Joe,

Check the ignition switch connector, 3-prong, inside the headlight bucket. Possibly you dislodged it while changing the light?

Comment

Hey Joe,

It's a little hard to follow your train of thought....a little extra punctuation like a period or comma here and there would be helpful to know where one statements ends, and another begins!?

The rear larger red wire is the MAIN Fuse line! The old OEM fuse holder is crap!! Even though the fuses can look good, they can be bad!

When the key is turned on, then power is routed to the other 3 fuse links, so if no power, then sounds like might be a corroded or bad main key switch!?

A tach wobble shouldn't burn out headlights, but can be an indication of erratic charging processes, perhaps the volt/reg/rect is going bad, and causing overcharging, and overpowering of circuits which could have burned out headlight!? Try first cleaning ALL connectors, pulling voltage/reg/rect off and cleaning connectors, and grounding contacts to frame!

Headlight staying on could be faulty relay?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks will start checking connectors and grounds. topcat will work on my punctuation. i have trouble with my train of thought thanks again joe
        Joe Bjordahl
        1979 XS1100S
        1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
        1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

ign switch connector fried needs to be rewired thanks again you all are great here joe
          Joe Bjordahl
          1979 XS1100S
          1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
          1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

I love it when I'm right

Congrats.

Comment

Hey Randy....oh electrical GURU,

When the key is turned on, then power is routed to the other 3 fuse links, so if no power, then sounds like might be a corroded or bad main key switch!?
              I love it when WE BOTH are right, check the times WE posted our replies!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X