80 SG frame/81SH frame comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 SG frame/81SH frame comparison

Is anybody aware of any significant differences between the two? I have been to Yama Mama's parts catalog and I see that the part number prefix is different. I realize that simply adding a small bracket can change a part number prefix, but it should be basically the same frame, one would think. I may have to replace the frame on my 80, and I haven't seen too many available in my area, and if I should happen upon an 81 frame, should I buy it? Restoring a frame may be easier than repairing one. Hell, I could even graft the steering head from the 80 onto the 81 frame, and that way my serial number won't change, and I won't have to go through the hassle of convincing the DMV that the mismatching of numbers doesn't mean the bike is stolen.

John;
    The motor would mount the same, so that part of a transplant would be easy. The difference is probably in attatch points for some of the different "fixtures" on the newer bike. If you can find a "rolling chassis", it would probably be an easy transplant. I would think trying to fit all of your "stock" items would be harder to do.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have eyeballed the two Specials, my 80 and 81, that are sitting right next to each other in the garage, and I really can't see any major differences. I do have a MIG welder in case I'd have to swap some brackets over from the 80 frame to an 81.

Comment

John,

I got into it with a bent frame on a '79 750 triple back in 1981. It was a nightmare. It wasn't bent bad, just enought that it wouldn't track straight. 3 times I striped that bike down to the frame and straightened it till all measurments were spot on. And within a few weeks it would be back where it was before I straightened it. The third time I took it to where it was over diminsioned to allow for a lot of creep back, and it creeped back to the bent positioned. After that I got a new frame from Yamaha!

Louis
        "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
        brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
        '82 XJ1100J
        LED Dir and running lights
        LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
        Modulated H/L
        PIAA Driving lights
        YICS Eliminated
        750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Hey John,

I know the 79SF's frame is different from the 81, the 81 grab rails don't line up with the mounting holes or the upper rear shock mount posts/bolts! After reviewing your two on the parts catalog, with the grab rail the same style between the 80-81, looks like it'll be a simple bolt on/over process!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X