HORRIBLY goofy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HORRIBLY goofy questions

Hello, all! Just want to first point out what a wealth of information this site has been for me. But, alas, I have a few more q's.

Quick History:
    Picked up MOST of a rolling chassis of a 1982 XJ1100J. Total project bike. Someone, somewhere, might have loved to restore it, but it was mostly just a frame and a front wheel. And rust.

Today I wish for two things:

X-RAY VISION
    Or, information about the amount of fork oil this thing needs. It has SOME, but has also left a bit on the floor in the garage. I'm happy to try that syringe trick posted here and totally change it out (which might be a good idea anyway), but is there such a thing as topping-off the stuff?

PSYCHIC POWERS
    Or, as another fine information-based substitute, some basic information about seats. Never had one for this. Are there seat families or anything standard about motorcycle seating? I know they all go under your butt and then attach to the frame, but that's where my knowledge of their similarities ends. Again, I'm not restoring; I'm cobbling. Has anyone ever successfully taken a seat from something else and put it onto an XJ/XS?

Google has scads about seat *covers* and other upgrades that all assume I still have the pan. It also has loads of opportunities to buy fork oil but very little about a magic dipstick to divine how much I already have.

I'll hit y'all up about shock air pressure later. Right now my system of pumping the shocks up until the bike rides like a shopping cart and then bleeding a bit at a time until it feels smoother seems to work pretty well. As you can see, I'm very scientifically-minded.

Thanks again for all you've already given me!

You _could_ drain the existing fork, measure it, and determine how much more to add to it to put back in to get the right level. OTOH, you're going to use such a small amount for a total change you may as well just bite the bullet and do it. I'll bet the stuff that comes out will be pretty nasty looking...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

seats and such

i happen to have a seat complete if you want it for shipping costs it's yours. it does need to be recovered but it is all there pan foam and cracked covering.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey there Obrian,

Take Chevy up on his offer. The seat pans are UNIQUE to the XJ, with a special quick release flip latch and all, the XS11's wont' fit!

BTW, WELCOME to the FORUM!! Secondly, if you'll check out the LINKS section, you'll find lots of info on where to find parts other than EBAY!!! And, if you'll follow this link:
        Yamaha Online Parts Catalog

You can then "Proceed to catalog", select Motorcycle, 1982, and XJ1100 and then you can review lots of info about the bike, the parts, what they are supposed look like, etc.. Then you can check out the SERVICE DATA item, which provides information like the Front Fork Oil : Wt=10, 250cc capacity.
        Air Pressure: front: 0.4 to 1.2 kg/cm3...sorry, not in ft/lbs!?
        Rear: 1.0 - 4.0 kg/cm3! Someone posted a conversion for this a little while back, could probably find it with a search!?

Also, they mention a Level for the fork oil at 210mm, I'm assuming this is from the bottom of the forks up, but not sure, and also you would probably need to pull the top caps off to be able to check it anyways!!

I remember seeing an XJ rear wheel on Ebay just the other day! Not much of the XS stuff will work on the XJ. Again, someone posted a message/thread about the differences between the XJ and XS's, just do a search!
        Good luck with the Resurrection!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

chevy45412001: i happen to have a seat complete if you want it for shipping costs it's yours.
          Oh, hell yes! Right now I've got two pieces of 2x4, a chunk of laminate flooring, and a foam pad all zip-tied together (the pad was added after discovering just how slippery the laminate is. yikes.).

I'll PM you with my shipping address. Do you have a PayPal account or would you like a money order?

I might be more excited than I was when I found a kick stand (and could stop using the giant crescent wrench to prop the bike on).

Also, poured through and printed almost all of the parts catalog (which I found thanks to this site), but never even noticed the Service Data link! Duh. TONS of little questions will be answered there.

Thanks, everybody!

This thing might just turn into a motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
          X