Accu-Pressure tire monitor caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accu-Pressure tire monitor caps?

Has anybody seen these accu-pressure tire pressure caps they have now? I saw something about them in a spam of all places, so I'm a bit skeptical. I've found a bunch of places that sell them, but no place seems to have a picture of them actually on a tire. I'd like to see how big they are on the tire...

For anybody who hasn't seen or heard of them, they're these valve stem caps that have a pressure gauge of sorts built into the end. Changes color depending on pressure in your tires... green for good, yellow for slightly low, red for too low...

I was thinking that might be a nice thing to have on my xs, since tire pressure is a little more important on the bike than car.. But I'd like to see how big they are, as I don't want something huge and ugly on my bike..

So, if anybody's had any experience w/them, good or bad, lemme know..

(web site is http://www.accu-pressure.com if you want to take a look)

I didn't go to the site to check them out, but have seen others on the Tornado site. I e-mailed them to see if they would sell them in mis-matched pairs (i.e., 36 psi front, 40 psi rear) but have not received a response. They also say that they need to be replaced on a annual basis. I decided to invest in a goo digital tire gauge instead and just keep checking my pressure before I ride.

Comment

Got them on both my bikes, you have to buy the proper pressure for the air desired in each tire and sometimes that means buying 2 sets (FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENT PRESSURES). They seem to work good but I dicovered while working on the brakes one day, THE CALIPER FELL BROKE THE GLASS END OFF THE CAP AND ALL THE AIR LEAKED OUT. Thought there might be a slight chance a rock could fly up and do the same.

80 Special

Comment

have had them on my cx for about 3000 miles. no problems as of yet. I put them on when my tire started a slow leak and they worked as advertized. i picked them up at walmart, prolly around 10$ for four of them. (other two made a b-day present to a riding buddy )

BEN
        79ish suzuki rm250
        82 honda cb450sc
        78 honda cx500
        72 honda cb175
        78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Problem is in using them. Tire pressure should be checked with tires COLD. During operation pressure will increase with heat. Therefore, 'hot' tire pressure checks are not accurate or reliable.

My other concern is accuracy of the accu-pressure units. Normal pencil-type gauges are ususlly within only about 5 percent, better ones around 1 percent. On a 40 psi rear tire, 5 percent = 2 pounds, or a 4 pound range (+ or - 5%). This is to much for me, found a more accurate gauge at Travelcade show last year, use that on all my vehicles now. 1% (+ or - .4 pound) yields a total range of less than 1 pound. Find out what the accuracy of the accu-pressure gauges are; if in the 5 % range, I would not use them on a bike.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
          X