Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much power can a 11 motor handle safely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much power can a 11 motor handle safely?

What power levels have you had/heard of running through a stock xs/xj11 motor?

Anyone used Gas or a turbo? I Might try to graft the workings of a GPZ750 turbo onto mine.

Pete, the stock conrods should handle a turbo - you'd probably want a rev limiter not to blow up the motor though, and beefed up components everywhere for reliability. One fella had a turboed XS11 and he reckoned the shaft inside the swingarm kept snapping like a matchstick. P.S. your 215 mph busa not thrilling enough?

Comment

bussa 215

pete i hope that was kph not mph? stock bussas state side for the 1999 modle topped out at 205mph,so with all your hard work for just10 mph was it worth all that?i've personally seen them run 8.65 in the 1/4 mile at a tic over 165mph.thats pullin three wheelies getting squrilly and letin off the throttle a few times.But i'm not knocking your acompl. was just wondering. And i don't know for sure but a cycle guy i kinda trust sad theese bikes have a few week links as far as serious hp levels go,rods are a little soft for nitrious,cam chain is not the strongest on the planet and a small rear tire really limits the power the bike can put on the ground.
      Last edited by chevy45412001; 08-20-2005, 10:58 PM.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey Chevy.

It's a popular misconception that a stock 'busa will go over 200mph. They simply will not. there is not enough power in a stocker to pull over a low-190. Also, the gearing of 17/40 tops out on the limiter at 193-194mph. Apparently the first jap-market bikes were supplied with 18/40 gearing but they sent the rest of the world got 17/40. This seems to be borne out by the fact that the speedo is very accurate at 18/40, but at 17/40 my own bike was showing 214mph at 193mph through the traps.

You can get 200mph - just about - on a stock engine with modified airbox/ram air/full exhaust/lowered and stipped of all things that stick out 'busa or zx-12r. My own bike managed it once on the runway in 3 years of trying and about 60 passes, and that with a healthy tailwind. Seen plenty of mid- and high-190's though. I know of only 3 other 'busas nd 2 zx-12r's that have repeated it, also with tailwinds.

My drag-racing times are poor I know. When I went to the strip, it was my first ever visit to a proper dragstrip, although I had done maybe 50 sprints on concrete runways, and was only my second time ever for riding the turbo. I started out in the high-10/low-11 times and worked my way down to mid-9 over 20 runs. Was one of the best days I ever had riding my bike. The best time I know of on a UK streetbike turbo 'busa is Brad O'connor who ran a 7.9 earlier this year in superstreet class.

As far as the engine is concerned:
        Rods are safe to 300hp on turbo, stock forged pistons good for 400+ .I wouldn't like to put 300 through the rods on gas though too many times . Roger Hall's turbo 'busa made 460HP on the dyno on stock rods. The camchains are fine, stock camchains take 600hp in their stride. Earlier bikes had to have the camchain-tensioners recalled by Suzuki (mine did), perhaps that is what he meant. The hayabusa powerplant really is one of, if not THE strongest stock engine fitted into a bike. Mine is fitted with only heavy-duty clutch springs and heavier head-bolts.

Tyres, well let me just say that if you ride one of these on the road you better take out shares in a tyre company

Comment

After reading all this, my XS11 now feels like a dinky, weak, fragile toothpick.

Comment

Ya know, all this talk about going faster...look at what happened to me at just 35 mph.

Comment

sorry pete

was refering to hp on the xs,as far as rods cam chain and such. there are bussas with over 300 hp i know did you spy the bussa with the blower yet? If memorie serves me it was aproaching 500hp.
              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Hey John,

Yeah, I have a hard time getting it up to over 110mph myself, not engine, but GUTS! And your problem wasn't at 35mph, you were doing fine, it was when you went to 00mph that the trouble started!!

Hope your recovery is coming along okay, seeing that you're able to get out and about...looking at spare MNS exhausts and such!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: sorry pete

Originally posted by chevy45412001
                  was refering to hp on the xs,as far as rods cam chain and such. there are bussas with over 300 hp i know did you spy the bussa with the blower yet? If memorie serves me it was aproaching 500hp.
                  Aah sorry I misundertood your post.

By "blower" do you mean supercharger? I know there have been a few supercharged one-offs, the only developed kit I know of is made by TTS in the U.K , who have recently gone bankrupt. I nearly bought one of their kits last year, supposedly good for 300HP. My buddy Neil bought it instead. He had it installed by TTS but sadly it melted his cylinder head and wrecked his pistons,conrods and big-end shells. I rebuilt his motor for him as stock and he sold the kit, after spending many hunderds of pounds trying to get it right. It only made 230HP in the end. I haven't heard of any supercharged 'busas going much over 300HP without adding nitrous, but there are plenty getting 500hp+ with turbo, and roadgoing bikes at that.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                    Ya know, all this talk about going faster...look at what happened to me at just 35 mph.
                    Sounds like you had a nasty off John. I hope your recovery is going well.

Comment

yes on the super charger

you know the ole saying? Injection is nice but i'd rather be blown..... . yes we call them both here depends on what side of the river you live on
                      1982 XJ 1100

Comment

480hp bussa

i have a dvd with i bussa and gsx1000 the gsx is doing 193 mph and the bussa monos past it like it is standing still.and dose it more than once.it is by the crazy guy in erope how dose silly thing on public streets.pggg send me your home address and i will send you a copy
                        cheers
                        jim garvey
                        3x xs1100
                        1 x honda cb900 custom
                        1 x it/yz 400 f
                        sydney australia

Comment

Working...
                        X