Big Bores run retarded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bores run retarded?

Ever since having my 1179 kit put in earlier this year, I haven't been happy with some little things. I anticipated some differences, so I've been playing around, trying to make it idle and cruise as smooth as stock. One problem is that I keep getting some erratic missing between 4k and 6k rpm with the throttle barely cracked. So today, I messed with the timing, and finally took the vac. adv. hose off and plugged it. Whaalah, it likes to run retarded. My theory is that the boost in compression causes the adv. unit to move too much, too soon. I don't know of anyone who makes and aftermarket vac. diaphram which is calibrated for the bore kit, do you? Anybody else been through this? And before anyone suggests the pick-up coil wires, I put new ones in this year also. Though they could possibly be acting up, I'm not getting any stretching in the wires, and the bike never misses a beat at any other rpm or throttle position. So for now I'll call it a secondary possible cause unless no one else with a bore kit has had this issue. Otherwise.... We're ready and stoked about the Rally in Lake Tahoe!!
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Hey!

I have a big bore and I ain't no retard.

Comment

LOL, that was funny

Either call Bob Jones or maybe think about a dynojet kit for it. I'm not sure the advance would do it but he would probably know.
      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Hey there Dragg,

I've got the 1179 and have NO problems with it throughout the entire RPM range! I still have the vacuum advance module, but mine's an 81, so no centrifugal, it's in the TCI!

Now, John has the same kit, but he recently developed a bad stall on his last run...kinda like hitting a brick wall, or was that a Pickup Truck!? Nope, he's definitely not a RETARD, but his short term memory lapses sometimes!
        How are those ribs feeling, John!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

mmmm... Well, I already have the dynajet kit winterhawk, and I called Bobs shop to help me put it in correctly. I'll put a meter on the pick-ups tomorrow and work it to eliminate that angle. But since there is no problem when I work it by hand, I doubt I'll find anything. I guess the next step will be to put a timing light on it... maybe the shop threw it off when they installed the coils for me. That, I wouldn't doubt
          1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

This ended up being due to bad connections at two plug caps. One was completely open. Eventually, it wouldn't idle for crap either. The turn signals would drop the voltage so low that the current wouldn't jump the gap, and knock out a cylinder. Guess thats what I get for trying to cram 8.8mm Accel wires in the ngk plug caps. Wierd, huh?
            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Working...
            X