Any oil draining tips/tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any oil draining tips/tricks?

So, once again I left my petcocks on and drained about a quarter tank of gas into my crankcase and now need to drain the oil-gas (Dumbass!). But, with 4-1 exhaust, this is no simple task. Anybody got any tricks to make it a little easier/cleaner?
    JEss
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Is there room in the filter cup to install a drain plug? The bottom of the filter cup is quite thick, about 1/4 inch. I have ground of one of the cooling fins on thefilter cup, right behind the bolt, and installed a 1/8inch pipe plug. I just remove the plug, and let it drain while the oil is draining from the oil pan. I suppose the plug could be located in the bottom of the cup, but off to one side of the cup instead of in the center, to allow for clearance around the header pipes.

Comment

One suggestion I got was use a wide oil drain pan. Cut a 2 liter (Coke or Pepsi, your choice) bottle top and bottom off. Then slice it in the middle so you have a wide piece of plastic with a bend.

Put that over the pipe to keep oil off it because as the oil poor slows, it won't poor past the pipe. You can also tilt it up from the back so it won't pour towards the back.
      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Originally posted by John
        Is there room in the filter cup to install a drain plug? The bottom of the filter cup is quite thick, about 1/4 inch. I have ground of one of the cooling fins on thefilter cup, right behind the bolt, and installed a 1/8inch pipe plug. I just remove the plug, and let it drain while the oil is draining from the oil pan. I suppose the plug could be located in the bottom of the cup, but off to one side of the cup instead of in the center, to allow for clearance around the header pipes.
        Interesting. I went and looked at the XS750SF partser I have and it has a drainplug in the oil filter cup, stock. It is near the sealing lip (by the large O-ring).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: Any oil draining tips/tricks?

Originally posted by 81xsproject
          Anybody got any tricks to make it a little easier/cleaner?
          JEss
          Fix the octopus and the float valves....

Seriously, I know they can be a PITA, but they're not rocket science. They can be made to work correctly, and you won't have to worry or fight with this problem again.

I just had to do a petcock fix on SWMBO's 'H, but still need to do the float valve fix on #2. I got lucky and didn't get a crankcase of fuel. Just for reference, one reason the petcocks and octopii (?) often fail is because there's yet another very small spooge hole in the body of the petcock/octopus that get plugged. This hole is what lets atmospheric pressure back in on the vacuum side of the diaphragm unit once the engine vacuum dies. When this hole gets plugged, the vacuum is not released, and fuel keeps flowing to the float bowls when it shouldn't. Couple with with a flakey float valve and we all know what happens next.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

I want to fix it, but it would be for not. I am going FI this winter and don't see the point in waisting my presous little money. All I need to do is not be a moron and close my petcocks after I am off.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Xs, there's in all recorded history never been such a thing as a clean oil change. Accept this undisputed fact and all will be easy. Tear off the filter and sump plug and let her flow in all it's glory. The oil's good for your ratchet wrench, give it a good drenching. Dive back in, wallow in the oil, and bung things back up. Dose the pipes and underside with sloshing quantities of engine degreaser, stand back and hose the whole bloody mess away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly

Interesting. I went and looked at the XS750SF partser I have and it has a drainplug in the oil filter cup, stock. It is near the sealing lip (by the large O-ring).
                Hmmmm....My 750SF didn't have a stock drain plug that I can remember, but I have slept since then.

Comment

I've never removed it so I'm assuming it's a drain plug. It's a parts bike that I've never started. Looking around the house, I think I have enough parts to put this thing on the road. I'm thinking a street-fighter/cafe/rat bike looking thing.
                  I'll post a photo of the oil filter cup.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
                    Xs, there's in all recorded history never been such a thing as a clean oil change. Accept this undisputed fact and all will be easy.
                    Hey PGGG,
                    I beg to differ with your statement, at least when you have "my" Spin on Oil Filter Adapter!! Regrettably, 81XSproject also has an oil cooler, and I've got to rework the design of my cooler adapter to function properly. But my original S.O.F.A. works well to greatly reduce the spilled oil on the hands bit!

My machinist is just about done with the first phase of their production with this batch of 8 plates, 2 are already spoken for, but I'll have 6 left over to offer. I finish them with tapping the threads, making the threaded pipe, and drilling the oil supply holes. But he's said he's not going to be able to continue making them, due to his job, etc.!

So....then I'll have to learn how to "completely" make them myself, hence my questions about getting a Mini-Lathe to be able to continue to make them....and once I learn how to use it, I may even be able to offer the SS Special brake pistons as well, and who knows what other goodies I can come up with!?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Gas leaks.....

I keep hearing about the petcock position to shut off the gas etc. I wonder why I seem to have the only machine with original petcocks. There is no "Off" on my system. Only On, Reserve and Prime. No gas will flow without vacuum from the engine except in the Prime position. For the information of those having carb problems, when you finally get it right you can have a very reliable 500 rpm idle and not damage the first gear when shifting to first at a stop. It took some effort, but it is possible and now easy for me.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

planedick,

then you must have a standard and not a special. Standards have no off position on the petcocks.
                        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Working...
                        X