Bah, damn the luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bah, damn the luck!

A stupid mistake and a millisecond of bad judgement caused me to lay down my bike. Luckily, I was only going around 30 and just got a couple scrapes and a little knock on the arm for my trouble. My upper body stayed upright and I slid on my butt. Seat of my pants suffered some, but my wallet saved my butt, literally!

My bike however, was not so lucky. It slid into a yard where the The pickup coil cover caught on a meter cover and broke off, destroying the pickups and bending the centrifugal advance unit center shaft slightly, as well.

The pickup cover bolt holes going into the block are broken out on the side to where you can see the threads as much as a 1/2 inch or more into it The bottom right hole and some of its surrounding wall is broken off the block completely.

If only I had put the case guards I bought on it. I was putting it off until I could clean them better....

I'm hoping that alumiweld stuff (or possibly a MIG) will allow me to recreate the missing metal around the top and bottom holes I still have so I can retap them. I'm not sure about the bottom one thats gone. I am thinking something like a small piece of aluminum barstock of the same height welded onto the block and then tapped. Possibly even some machining on it's sides to better match the walls. Replacing the engine block is just not an option, and I think I can at least come up with something that will protect the pickups, and still look relatively decent. I've made small casted parts with JBweld that have really held up for other things, but I'd really like to fix this with metal, if I can. It doesn't seem like it should be fatal for the engine. Anyone here ever have to do anything like this?

Also, what year and model pickups and centrifugal advance can I use on my 80SG? I've read here about some of the differences, but it's all greek to me. There seems to be a difference in every model.

Definately learned a couple of things from this. Won't be riding again without a jacket. Despite the 95 degree weather. I'm also going to go take the riding course I didn't think I needed now, as well. Didn't remember as much as I thought I did....

I'm not going to give up on my bike now though. Especially after all the work I've put into it. It saw me through this, so I'll see it through it, as well. When it went it was almost like it set me on my butt deliberately. Seeing it like this now kills me.
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

I've fixed some with JB Weld or the likes. Time to replace the 1980 TCI and stuff with 78 or 79 advance and TCI. Seams to make them run better. It can be fixed with a TIG.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I had 2 holes in the case on my Honda Hawk. Connecting rod broke just south of the wrist pin at 8500 RPM.
      One hole was in the top of the case under the carbs. The other was next to the primary drive gear. Patched them both with JB Weld. Also on this engine, the crank main bearing caps are all cast together with the oilpump on one end of the casting. This casting also has the "windage shield" (keeps the crankshaft/rods from dipping into the oil when the engine is running) cast as a part of this too. This shield was shattered by the conrod whirling around like a weedeater on steroids. All the little chunks were in the bottom of the case. I pieced them back together and it held together jus fine with JB.
      Yes the hole by the primary gear seeped oil that dripped onto the exhaust and caused a bit of smoke, mostly apparent when the bike was just parked.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Happend to a PO PO PO PO of my bike. Same thing. I can send you some photos. I'm still missing a piece of the engine block where the bottom front bolt should be. The rest was made of dunnowhat.
        Runs fine tho. It can be repaired.
        Think positive. If you had the engine guards on, you would probbably bend the frame.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Re: Bah, damn the luck!

You sound as if you made it through all of that OK and that is the good news!

Originally posted by JWSanders
          A stupid mistake and a millisecond of bad judgement caused me to lay down my bike. (
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey JW,

Ditto on glad you survived with rather minor injuries. Was cruising Ebay, found a set of pickup coils and timing plate from a 78 on for $45.00...no bids.

Pickup coils Ebay

Also a cheap "rough" but cleanable timing cover:
            Timing Cover

Perhaps a person on the list has a spare engine and can provide the center shaft!?

I've got some road rash scars from similar NO JACKET 95 degree weather ride and fall!! I, too, now prefer to sweat over bleed!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, I saw those as well. Hopefully I have a bead on another working set, too.

Luckily, I have another cover I was polishing up and hadn't put on yet. Overall, It definately could've been way worse.

It was a decent shake to the ego. I've been told we need them from time to time.
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
              X