79 xs newbe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 xs newbe

Hey. Just a new guy who found this site and would like to say thanks for a lot of info it provide. I bought a 79 xs off ebay about a month ago, it wasn't running but it started on small shot of ether and then wouldn't keep running. I pulled the bowl plugs and all kind of junk came out. I havent owned a bike since the early 80s and needed a jolt to my memory, somehow i found this site (allforgeters) and am glad I did. Like I said I bought this sight unseen and think I got a pretty good deal(carbs needed going through, mufflers shot, rear brake in a coffee can and just general sitting for years). Again hello and will keep posting about my progress.

Hey, tranch,

Was just in Jim Thorpe two weeks ago.

There are a few of us not too far from you, if you need a hand, we may be able to help sometimes.

Besides me in Stroudsburg, there's at least two more guys near you fxrer and firefighter. Can't speak for them, but it never hurts to ask. Give a shout out here and see.

Comment

Hey Tranch,

Randy beat me to it, but was going to tell you about checking out the Members Forum, find the Pennsylvania members thread, and check out who's near you!

Aside from the message posts, I hope you've found the tech tips? PLEASE READ THE CARBS section thoroughly, or you could be in for some trouble, easy to break some stuff internally, and damage rubber parts with cleaner!

Once you get the carbs sorted out, you'll find out just how good of a buy you got.....just remember to hang on!!!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm in harrisburg, how far is that?
        Ron Evans
        79 xs11sf
        99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Comment

Hey Tranch,

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your SF.

I was with Randy, a.k.a. Mr. Electric Guru, in Jim Thorpe two weeks ago. We went on a FABULOUS ride from there, up to Berwick, via Rt. 339, a truly a great road, and returned to J Thorpe via Rt 93. Some very fine riding in that neck of the woods.

I live 30 miles from you, and for Randy, it’s about 40 mi. (Rev, I think its about 80 mi to Harrisburg)

Point is, there’s lots of enthusiastic XSers in Eastern PA. Heck, Randy even mentioned the concept of a members “rally” though the Poconos, for those of us in Eastern PA, NJ, NY.

Keep reading the tips on maintenance, do lots of “searches” (left side bar), for things you need advice on, and never be reluctant to ask questions of this group! You’ll get lots of great advice, based on years of experiences. (just don’t ask them how they know this!)

Rick
          Rick
          '80 SG
          '88 FXR
          '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

yo thanks for the welcome everyone and yes I've seen quite a few address in ne pa. needless to say the tech section on carbs definetly was a big help, I didn't knbow about 2nd jet in bowl as mine were covered completely when i tore thewm down and it just looked like a passage, if it hadn't been for tech i probbally would have had to tear them apart a 3rd and 4th time. My 1st and 3rd needle in the body(the one w/ screw head and spring outside) were snapped and the 3rd one wouldn't come out nomatter what(the pishpins, one of my sister little and i do mean little needle) just wouldn't work so i went to radioshack and got a .02mm drill and was lucky it broke w/ a dished in end still in there, when I drilled it out it finnally broke free and came out without goine through. I have put it back together but now I have high idle and cant get rid of it. Anyy suggestions on something i might have done when reassembling?

Comment

tranch, you migh have the throttle cable kinked or one of the manifold clamps is catching on the mechanism?

Or, maybe the previous owner had the idle cranked up to compensate for the clogged jets? Don't ask how I know that!

If cable's not caught, try turning the idle screw ( in between #2 and #3 carbs ) turn it counterclockwise to lower idle.

Comment

randy the cable is free as well as the rest of the mechanism. I'm thinking of carb sync but don't have the time tonight. so tommarrow after work I'll pull the carbs again and try the bread tye thing i found in tech tips. On another note, i visited your web site and was suprised to fing you got ur xs on the island, thats were mine came from. I kinda just want to get her running right b4 i strip her down and resore her to bodashious style over the next few(haha)months. I'm 40, r3ecently divorced and need a good project and this looks like it. I'll try to keep pics as progress unfolds.

Comment

Have fun with your restoration. Mine took 7 months. But, I bet yours looks a damn sight better than mine did!

Comment

Working...
                  X