speedometer jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer jumping

I occasionally have the needle jumping from 60 to 70 mph. I have replaced the cable, used white lithium grease, and it still does it from time to time. What can I do to correct it.

Check the cable drive right at the front axle. There should be two small tabs that fit into two slots on the left hub. If this has been put together wrong, it could break off one or both of the tabs, and you won't get a reliable, consistent drive for the cable.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

You can check the speedo by chucking the end of the cable from the drive end, into a reversable drill motor, and run it backwards. Forward direction won't do anything. I had a problem with mine last spring, and I thought it was the speedo. I was able to get the speedo to register 40 mph with the drill, and it was smooth. The problem turned out to be the tangs in the wheel hub weren't engaging the speedo drive properly. Seems I hadn't properly installed the drive when changed fenders, and they had gotten bent down away from the slots in the drive. I just had to basically bend them back into shape. I figured while I was right there, I would disassemble the drive, clean out all of the old hard grease and relube it. I lubed it with white Lubriplate pre-assembly grease, and it works like a charm now...well it did util two months ago.

Comment

Hey John,

It's not the SPEED that hurts, it's that SUDDEN STOP!!

Sorry, just had to toss in another "Rib"! You've been posting quite a few tips lately, you must be feeling a bit better, eh!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC!

Now, I've got to see a Dr for bruised ribs.
          But, on the other hand, things are working really well now

Comment

Working...
          X