Ride Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Report

I had an opportunity to ride my 79sf for 2 hours the other day for the first time since I got it. I've been slowly bringing her back to life since the first day I got her for $450.

I'm still a year or two (probably) away from finishing a restoration suitable for my needs, but I've been able to do enough to get it passed the inspection.

After getting a horn button from Mike's XS (fast), I rode it for a 70 mile trip to an inspection station. The ride was the first time I've done much beyond a few blocks. It was nice to get it out on the highway in daylight with lots of room and long straight roads to see what she felt like.

I used to have an 80g, so I notice the differences. Most noticeable is the fact that this bike is running at higher RPMs because of the smaller rear tire. Not sure if I like that but I do love the acceleration. I went through 4 gears from a stop until she was trying to rip through 90mph and I slowed down. At that moment I gave her her new name. I dubbed her, "Wind Up Toy." Pretty smooth at 90. Would like new rubber, fork brace, and new rear suspension. (Hey, she's a special, I'm not setting her up for cruising) Feels like she'd pull 120 pretty easy but I need a working tach.

75-90 top gear roll-ons are nice. I have a 4-1 pipe and she breathes OK on the top. Need to work on mid and idle, though.

I have new fork seals (yamaha) but have not pressurized them forks with any air. Not sure what the rear pre-loads are set at, but it doesn't matter to much since one shock is no good. Thus in the turns she squirrels around beyond my confort level. I'll need to see what I can do for good rears.

Anyway, I think I'll try House of Kolor primer, gloss black base, and clear again since I had such great results with it on my 80g. Then I need to figure out how to do the polishing. Will need a seat and tachometer and also will have to figure out how to keep the side panels from flying off, since the mounting tabs are broken.

Rode home at about 10 at night. Got a bit nippy over the passes at 9k feet.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Hi Ben what bits you got?? for a swap for a tacho??

if any??

i got a tach ,,but so skint and need to cash it in for parts i need

my sf is great at 90 too will do that all day no prob

gets hard to hang on with 110 on the clock up wards

glad you are getting there now
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

I'll have to do an inventory next time I get home and will update you....

You were selling a lot of nice parts on EBay a week or two back.

Ben
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

yep nothing really fetched its value

guy was over the moon with the gas cap

i got a few more bits,just chucked so much cash at my bonnie

had to buy and sell on ebay to make ends meet!!

over done it a bit i think!!no one wanted the tach is mint apart from red for rev limit!!

i cant give it away Ben took me ages to get it for spare ,one day i will want it,at mo i just feel ,,sell what i got to get parts i need now and stop stocking up on stuff,get the bike mint then when she falls apart (hopefully won't happen) just build her back up with anything available at time

someones just emailed me about swapping tach

think i should have just swapped everything on here trather than sell it!!

real glad your getting there Ben

i swapped my grab bar for some new 3 point crash bars

let you get that one now i can't win another no matter how much i try!!won't pay too much tho as i got a rack and sissy bar now
        Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Working...
        X