Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questons about Forks 'n Carbs

First the forks:

New forks, new seals, new progressive springs but, still too much dive in the front. I used 10w oil per manual but was wondering if I should go to 15w? BTW, used the 3.5" spacer per progressive instructions.

Now the carbs:

I have both a 750J and 1100J, different carbs on them. Since this will be my very first time doing carbs should I start with the 750 or the 1100 or does it make any difference?

Oops, forgot another question re rear suspension.

I think the manual or mfg web sites recommend a 12.5 eye to eye shock for the 1100. I did notice another site that mentioned a 13.5 eye to eye would work.

BTW, me=215lbs, full windshield, top travel trunk, custom double seat (the bike, not me)..

Thanks again.

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Hey Jack,

I thought the XJ had an AIR pressure PRELOAD that you could adjust for the front?! But yes, putting in a higher wt. fork oil should increase the resistance in the dampening affect and should slow down the dive affect!

If you like or want lots of ground clearance, then the longer rear shocks should work for you! With that custom seat, you probably don't have trouble reaching the ground with your feet when on the seat, so a little more height shouldn't bother you!

As for the carbs, the 1100 isn't much different than the 750, so it won't matter which one you work on first. Have fun!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OMG!! Talk about totally embarassed. I've been reading a bunch of other threads about forks, trying to learn as much as possible and completely overlooked the air pressure adjustment. I feel like a total fool I just went downstairs to the garage and put in about 13lbs which should take care of it.

The reason I wondered about the shocks is the fact that I tend to bottom fairly easy and wondered if the longer length would give me a bit more suspension. The shocks on there now are aftermarket, bought them about 8 years or so ago, JCW if I remember right.

Guess it will be the 1100's carbs first. Noticed today that I have some oil blowing back onto the outside of the air cleaner and some sort of residue on the lower carb linkage.

Thanks as usual for the help.

Jack
      82 XJ100J Gone
      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

The only thing that will keep you from bottoming out, is stiffer springs. Is the spring preload adjustment, assuming there is one, all the way up? That is, in the position that makes the spring the shortest?

Steve
        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
        Norton Electra - future restore
        CZ 400 MX'er
        68 Ducati Scrambler
        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
        X