Vaccum advance parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccum advance parts

I've taken apart my vaccum advance unit and have deduced that the vaccum diaphragm/canister part is bad. You know, the part with the vaccum line coming into it on one side and the arm coming out the other. It feels like a spring is bent or over sprung inside of it... or something. Either way, it's broken.

Does anyone know if I can repair this item? ...or is it necessary to obtain a new one? ...any ideas where I can get this piece?
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

It's not repairable, at least as I understand it. It's also discontinued, so perhaps someone here has an extra one, or you can try Speed and Sport: www.nosyamaha.com
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I remember seeing one on Ebay a few days ago, but must have scrolled off, don't recall if anyone bid on it, so can't be sure if it'll reappear?

I know cars have vacuum advance units on their distributers, I would think there might be a way to take the old one, and try to match it up, but not how hard it would be to match up the amount of travel it has, as well as how much vacuum is required to cause it to travel. I know there is a spec on how much vacuum is to be applied to cause it to go thru full travel, just don't have my manual handy!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

just need the same area of diaphram vs spring pressure, then the right shape of arm and mounting tab location.
        simple
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I have a 78 engine in the garage that should have a vacuum advance on it. The question is "will a 78 unit work on a 79 xs11 special"?
          DEW
          One Red "Creation 1"
          One Black"Creation 2"
          One Black"Creation 3"
          One ???? "Creation 4"
          One ???? "Creation 5"
          One ???? "Parts Bike"
          All the above 1100 Specials
          78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
          1980 Midnight Special
          1978 650 SE

Comment

Yes it will work. Bolt it up and go ridin'.

Comment

Working...
            X