79 sf stock hp and 1/4 mile et's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 sf stock hp and 1/4 mile et's

I've searched the site and didn't find anything this specific but does anyone have the stock hp and 1/4 times for a 79 xs11sf?

Ron Evans
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Just click on the Articles link on the left sideof this page, and read away. It's all in there.

Comment

Try this one for starters. There's lots more....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Rev, horsepower doesn't actually mean a lot in a drag as the torque peak is the point at which the bike has maximum acceleration. Either side of that point the acceleration is less.

Comment

The 1/4 mile times published in the magazines back then (and probably still are) bogus. They had a professional drag racer named PeeWee Gleason do most of the runs. PeeWee was 120 pounds soaking wet and fearless. He could also wring faster 1/4 mile times out of a bike than almost anyone else.

When you put an average person on the bike you can almost be guaranteed to add a second to the ET.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

But still, even with ET's in the 12-13's we can dust most muscle cars and modern 'boy racers' and a lot of other bikes as well.

Comment

An XS11's torque peaks at about 6 1/2 grand so quick gear changing at around 7 1/2 keeps the machine in the zone. Decimal points on sheets of paper are so airy-fairy - 1/4 mile times are totally dependant on a perfect off the line start with a skinny person aboard. Joe Bloggs ain't worried about poncy magazines massaging their egos as to which editor can print out the best set of numbers. The point is, a bike like an XS gives rocket performance at any time easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
                The 1/4 mile times published in the magazines back then (and probably still are) bogus. They had a professional drag racer named PeeWee Gleason do most of the runs. PeeWee was 120 pounds soaking wet and fearless. He could also wring faster 1/4 mile times out of a bike than almost anyone else.

When you put an average person on the bike you can almost be guaranteed to add a second to the ET.

Geezer
                Yes and no. Bogus as to you and I running the quarter. But it is still apples to apples because PeeWee was employed by darned near every bike maker to run there quarters too. They all had their PeeWees and "media" to acheive top E.T.s.

So if an XS11 showed PeeWee's 1/4 at 11.8 and a V65 Magna showed PeeWee's E.T. at 11.01 then that was a good comparison.

BTW I think...ah...hmm ahhh...I've turned an 11.97 ah...ahh...mmmm ...geez I must have something in my eye...cough...cough...mmmm.

PS: Dan Hodges showed me a review where the little fart cranked out a 10.6 on a stock V-Max.
                Last edited by MAXIMAN; 08-05-2005, 03:18 PM.

Comment

????

hey john, where you been. I can smoke a hardley thats about it. Anyy 600 cc and up sport bike can whip my @ss. Period....And i too like the real world drag strip as a testing site. Tells you instantly if your tune is on or not.as far as cars,rider beware,most of the boys at the track be puffin nitrous.My xj11 does 13.10 at 102 mph as a best so far. i'll take that any day,cause i drive it to the track flog it and ride it back home,something moist can't say bout thier trailer queens
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN

Yes and no. Bogus as to you and I running the quarter. But it is still apples to apples because PeeWee was employed by darned near every bike maker to run there quarters too. They all had their PeeWees and "media" to acheive top E.T.s.
                    There's no doubt about it PeeWee Gleason was a flat amazing rider. I enjoy my XS11 for what it is and I don't give a crap about the hype...

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Chev, 'bout time the XJ had number 4 sparkplug connected and some air put in the tyres eh? I haven't been on an 'official' drag strip since the 80's, but I still do the occasional blast on a tweaked XS11 down a 'home made ' drag strip - a spray painted mark(measured 400 metres) on a backroad 10 minutes from home.

I use the stopwatch on a digital speedo. As the bike hits the paint mark, I flash a glance at the dial. If the takeoff was a real good one, the dial is still reading 11 something. If the takeoff wasn't perfect, it'll still read 12 something most times. That's with stock cams and stock CV carbs(jetted) too.

When these E-models were brand new without a 1/4 century's worth of motor/gearbox wear & tear, I'm picking any sucker who was a 1/2 way decent rider could have hit the 11 mark on a stock machine on a good day.

Comment

Back in Feb '78 I bought a Macho Maroon XS1100. I went to North Star Dragstrip in the Twin Cities in April and ran 11.89/115mph with two more 11.92's. It was bone stock. Those numbers held up all year (AA stock bike) at that track and I still have the timeslips. The bike would run 138 mph on a level road. Also in 1979 using a Windjammer fairing, I toured thru Mexico and into Guatemala - 7,000 miles - trouble free. It was my most favorite motorcycle (35 total). I recently picked up a low mileage "78 XS11 and I'm smiling again.

Mike

Comment

Flynn, imagine doing a 7000 mile tour through Mexico in an 11 sec nitroused cage. It'd be parked permanently on the roadside, shagged, within 2 days.

Comment

North Star Dragstrip?

Wasn't that near Blaine, Coon Rapids, Circle Pines? I was there in 76, and saw my first funny cars. I was hooked. I also saw some KZ900's get the asses handed to them by the 750 two stroke triple Kawasakis at that track also.

Comment

.. it's been a couple of years sence i've been to the track and i've had a few bikes .. the 3 xs11s i raced one did the 1/4 @12.30 at around 108 mph .. the other two did it @ 12.70 at around 104 mph. i weigh about 200 lbs then.. the air down here at sea level is thicker

Comment

Working...
                              X