Regulator/rectifier first report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator/rectifier first report

Well I cashed in a round2it and finally finished my replacment regulator/rectifier for the XS11.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...S11reg-rec.JPG

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com...11reg-rec2.JPG

This is only the first working prototype and I won't be offering them for sale for a month or two.

First observations are as follows.
    1, it gets as hot as the stock unit. (I expected that mine would run cooler as I put in rather huge diodes.)

2, the headlight comes on quicker when I start the engine and the tach is a bit more stabile (the tach is old and dirty, only a good cleaning would make it work smooth.)

3, the lights are brighter at and idle (it reaches full voltage at 1500 RPM)

The mounting plate is a bit oversized but I was in a hurry and used a plate I had laying around. I’m going to try 35 amp diodes in the next one to see of it runs cooler than the 25 amp ones in there now. The 25 amp diodes are overkill but the bigger ones are only a few cents more each...

Anyway I’ve been riding it around today with the new unit and it hasn’t melted down yet.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

I have experienced the same break-even charging characteristics using the stock xs11 rectifier with an external volkswagon volt regulator. 1500 rpms is that break-even point.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

There's not much you can do about the temp of the diodes, since the internal power dissapation is given by V(f) X I(f).

In other words, the power used by the diode to heat itself is its Forward Voltage Drop ( pretty much the same for all diodes) times the current through the diode.

Forward voltage of most diodes is 1.2 to 1.7 volts.

Steve
      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
      Norton Electra - future restore
      CZ 400 MX'er
      68 Ducati Scrambler
      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Originally posted by LoserShoes
        There's not much you can do about the temp of the diodes, since the internal power dissapation is given by V(f) X I(f).

In other words, the power used by the diode to heat itself is its Forward Voltage Drop ( pretty much the same for all diodes) times the current through the diode.

Forward voltage of most diodes is 1.2 to 1.7 volts.

Steve
        I use the same diodes on Honda 750s and they don't even get warm. I guess the XS11 has a stronger charging system than I thought.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by skids
          I have experienced the same break-even charging characteristics using the stock xs11 rectifier with an external volkswagon volt regulator. 1500 rpms is that break-even point.
          One nice thing about my reg/rec is that it uses all the stock wiring. I have a source for the original electrical connectors and my part is plug and play...

I'll post and update in a few weeks and I expect to offer them to the public in a month.

Geezer

Comment

Might be interesting if you could measure the AC current in each phase on both those bikes.

Whats the wattage of the Hondas headlight?

Just took a look and it seems to be the same.

For some reason the XS is putting a lot more current through the diodes.

Steve
            Last edited by LoserShoes; 08-04-2005, 12:20 PM.
            80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
            73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
            62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
            Norton Electra - future restore
            CZ 400 MX'er
            68 Ducati Scrambler
            RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Originally posted by LoserShoes
              Might be interesting if you could measure the AC current in each phase on both those bikes.

Whats the wattage of the Hondas headlight?

Just took a look and it seems to be the same.

For some reason the XS is putting a lot more current through the diodes.

Steve
              I know where there is an 81 Honda 900F I could borrow but it's not worth the trouble.

I’ve order a set of 35 amp diodes and I’m going to try them when they arrive next week to see if they make any difference. However, I've bee riding it 2 days now in 90 degree weather (this is bloody hot for NW Oregon) and it's doing fine. I'll take it apart and rebuild it with the meatier diodes when they get here next week. This will also give me a chance to see if it shows any signs if internal heat problem. The listed operating temp for the diodes is over 100 degrees but I don’t like to run them that warm.

Anyway when I comfortable that it's 2x (or more) better than the stock unit, I'll offer them for sale.

Geezer

Comment

I am no electrical engineer or tech, but don't "heavier" diodes require more minimum voltage or current to operate correctly? (You know, close the current in the reverse direction.)

Originally posted by Geezer

I know where there is an 81 Honda 900F I could borrow but it's not worth the trouble.

I’ve order a set of 35 amp diodes and I’m going to try them when they arrive next week to see if they make any difference. However, I've bee riding it 2 days now in 90 degree weather (this is bloody hot for NW Oregon) and it's doing fine. I'll take it apart and rebuild it with the meatier diodes when they get here next week. This will also give me a chance to see if it shows any signs if internal heat problem. The listed operating temp for the diodes is over 100 degrees but I don’t like to run them that warm.

Anyway when I comfortable that it's 2x (or more) better than the stock unit, I'll offer them for sale.

Geezer
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                  I am no electrical engineer or tech, but don't "heavier" diodes require more minimum voltage or current to operate correctly? (You know, close the current in the reverse direction.)
                  You will think so but not according to the spec sheet that comes with the diodes. Anyway I've only ordered enough for one unit and I'm willing to try them on my bike to see how well they work.

I've also tried the same (25amp) diodes on an old 350 Honda with no ill effect but they way more over kill than the ones I already market for those bikes.

Geezer

Comment

Nice work on the rectifier/regulator.
                    I wonder if anyone can tell me if the 79 standard rectifier will work with the 80 standard. I went to yamahamotors.com parts catalog. They listed 79 std p/n as: 1T4-81960-A0-00 with (1T4-81960-92) in parenthesis. The 80 std p/n is listed as: 1T4-81960-92-00. are they interchangable?
                    PLEASE HELP
                    Dan
                    80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                    Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                    I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

I would be willing to try it. The prefix (1T4) and main p/n (81960) are the same. The 92 refers to a modifcation. The original p/n was the -A0 and it was superceded by the -92 model.

Comment

Nice job GEEZER !!!

1T4 prefix is for the XS 750 triple. Those rectifiers have been used on XS 750, XS 850 and all type of 1100.
                        Difference is on case shape : some have verticals cooling fins, some have horizontals.
                        Electricaly, they are the same and interchangeable.
                        XS 1.1 '83 German model
                        XS 1100 '81
                        XS 750 77 Work in progress.
                        XS 500 76 Restored
                        XS 250 77
                        XS 360 to be restored...
                        TX 750 '73
                        GTS 1000
                        FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

The 3 pring electrical connectors are on the way and I expect to put these units in production in about a week or two.

The prototype has bee working better than expected and I'll going to make the beta unit tomorrow.

Geezer

Comment

John and xs1100yam,

Thanks for the info on these babies! I am looking at several on ebay. I missed the 1980 model for sale. Looking at 79 and 81 models.
                            80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                            Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                            I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

Good used ones will be cheaper than the ones I make. Considering that XS11's (and the triples that use the same unit) don't burn them out very fast, I took my time getting around to making the first one. I made a unit for Hondas first because they’re frying them left and right…

I plan to sell them for $90 with a life of the bike guaranty. As long as your bike is still in one piece and hasn't been through a burning building, the reg/reg unit is covered...

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                              X