No announcement yet.

should I get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seats will fit a 79F, but there will be a large hole in the back of the seat where the tail light was.

Comment

Hmmm... that's what I figured but the 80-81 seats look great. I need a seat for my 79sf. The current one doesn't stay hooked and seems a bit misfit.
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

.. one of those leather fork bags fit quite nicely under the back of the newer seats ,carries tools ,stash or whatever and looks good too

Comment

seat

My 80 special seat doesn't fit quite right either. maybe we could swap and get what we want? I can send you a picture. It's in great shape. I think it may have been recovered but I can't tell as I'm a novice at best. It has a tag on the back of the seat. Let me know
          Free

Comment

Please post a pic of the seat. If it has a tag on the back it may be the wrong seat. It could be from a 79 Special. Does the tail light/grabrail interfere with the way the seat fits? Where is the tail light mounted? Is it right up behind the seat, or down low on the fender?

Comment

seat

sorry, got home from work late, sned it later tomorrow or I might get a second wind and do it after I eat some din din.
              Oh, how do I post a picture?
              Last edited by Igotit4free; 08-05-2005, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ae7f
                Hmmm... that's what I figured but the 80-81 seats look great. I need a seat for my 79sf. The current one doesn't stay hooked and seems a bit misfit.
                I have a 79SF seat on my SG, mainly because I didn't know better 14 years ago when I restored it, but back in the spring just before I went to the XS rally in Lufkin, TX, I swapped out the seat with the one from Foster Child, and gave it a test ride. Although the seat was comfortable, it restricted any movement and made it difficult to reposition and get a little more comfortable after an hour or so in the saddle. The SF seat doesn't have the tall separation of rider/passenger like the SG seat, and that made all the difference to me. Now it might be because I have had the SF seat on my bike for all these years and I'm so accustom to it that anything else just doesn't seem right, but I prefer the SF seat.

Comment

My seat is ok - but it won't fit. I crack the throttle and the seat shifts backwards and out of the front bracket - consistently. Not to mention it looks like a freak.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Ben

It looks like some one has really butchered that seat. Seems they cut down the foam in front, and recovered it w/an aftermarket cover. Look at some of the pics of my bike at the webshots address in my signature, and you can see what an SF seat shoud look like.

Comment

Looks just like the seat base on my 80G.

Steve
                      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                      Norton Electra - future restore
                      CZ 400 MX'er
                      68 Ducati Scrambler
                      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Now you can see why I want to try another seat. It's killing the look and function of my bike.
                        Ben

Formerly:
                        1982 XS650
                        1980 XS1100g
                        1979 XS1100sf
                        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                        X