should I get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I get it?

I can get my hands on a 79 XS11. The guy parked it in 95 and it has not been run since. I don't know any further details about it . He wants $350 USD for it. Will this bike need extensive work to get it back on the road or will it basically be parts bike? Is $350 a good price for it?

If you don't want it I do lol.
    Probably need to drop some cash into the carbs to get them going again if old gas was left in them but should be a real steal even at that.
    Motor cop

Comment

Can of carb cleaner spray and a air compressor with blow tool is all most carbs need IMHO Of course, some require float adjustment if they overflow
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

yup and I think bottom end of that one done by others is $300
        Motor cop

Comment

Compression test is needed to verify the engine, or offer him money as a parts bike.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
            Compression test is needed to verify the engine, or offer him money as a parts bike.
            What is a good compression range for a bike like this that sat for the last 10yrs?

What's a parts bike like this worth?

Comment

Generally, I believe if compression is within 10-15% between all four cylinders, that's prolly ok.
              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hey there SnoSheriff,

The bigger question is WHERE has it been parked for the last 10 years. IF in a garage with modest climate control, then there's a better chance of it being in good condition internally. IF it's been stored out side, then humidity will have gotten into at least one if not more cylinders thru the carb throats and open intake valves, and could have caused some considerable rust development!!

A proper compression test should be done after the engine has been run, warmed up. So...a cold test could be misleading, due to slightly stuck rings that may free up after some running, along with a possible light layer of rust that would scrub off after some running??

And, then you're going to be putting in some $$ for replacing the TIRES(old dry rot....don't expect to be able to use the present ones safely), all fuel lines, carb rebuild, gastank cleaning and relining, petcock rebuild, brake cleaning and rebuild of both mastercylinders and calipers, all fluids=main,middle, and final drive oils. How many miles on it? How did he drive it, hot dogging or just cruising? Might need to replace friction plates in clutch, new control cables or at least relube, New battery, clean ALL electrical connectors.

$350 is a decent price IF the engine is in good condition, but don't expect to pour gas in it and go! You will need to do ALL that was mentioned above, and perhaps more to get it both safe and reliable. THey are awesome machines and you won't be sorry, but if you don't like or know how or don't want to learn how to work on it, then pass it up! Good luck!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If it looks good that's a steal.

When I bought Kong ('80 Special) the guy bought it new in '80....put 36,000 miles on it via road trips and parked it in 1985.

That's the last time he rode it until I bought it. It was parked under a carport (not garaged) but was under a heavy duty motorcycle cover.

Kong looked great. There are some photo's of it around here some where. It would not run with the carbs (duh!), but would run on starting fluid sprayed into the intake. It ran long enough I could tell it appeared ok so I took it to my shop and rebuilt the carbs. It fired off and never looked back. I think Dave has well over 40,000 on it now and runs great.

These bikes built to last. There really isn't a lot to go wrong with them.

I will say this...TC is right about getting a little rust in the cylinders. When I got Kong running I put about 100 miles on the first oil change and got a little rust out of the filter assembly. So I ran it another 100-150 miles and changed oil. I got a little more rust. But after 2 or 3 iterations of this procedure I wasn't getting much. I never ran a compression test. I didn't need to. Kong will take Zilla in a foot race and Zilla was "pristine" when I bought him. The compression on Zilla is about 140 on all cylinders.

BUY IT....NOW!!!

Comment

My 79 Special has only 8,000 miles on it so that may give you and idea of how long that bike sat. It was not taken care of and my major project was the carbs but once that problem was taken care of it ran like a new one. I think I paid about $800 for that and was well worth the $ to me anyway.
                    Good Luck
                    Motor cop

Comment

I paid $500.00 for MIYAMI. The PO let it sit outside under a covered deck. He was not the mechanic he thought he was. a few carb cleanings (with the first one being a rebuild ), brakes, tires, a few electrical issues, brake fluid flush, a set of stearing head bearings, a valve shim check and replacment of a few shims, reinstalation of an oil pressure gauge, cleaning of All electrical connectors, did the pick-up coil wire fix, changed the plugs and caps, threw in a fresh coat of paint and turned loose a buffing wheel on the shiney stuff. Replaced the seat with a Mustang touring seat. Now I've got a classic power house of a bike that lookes O.K. and runs great. I trust the old girl on short trips as well as long hauls. I also know what she's made of from the inside out. The bike will only be worth what it'll be worth to you. Most everybody here has got more $$$$$ into their bikes then they could ever get if they decide to sell. Owning an older bike like the XS or the GS or the KZ or even the GL would have to be basically " a labor of love " Good luck with your decision. If it were me, I'd buy her, But that's just me.
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                      1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Hey Czekus: You going to make it to Sturgis this year ?
                        Motor cop

Comment

Nice looking SF. Is the seat from an 80-81?

Comment

That seat came off of an 80 midnight special according to the guy I bought it from on Ebay. I put that seat on the shelf and have now got a big fat couch of a seat made by Mustang. Kinda pricey but comfy..
                            Nulle,,, I plan on makin it. I gotta put a new roof on my house first. I'll start the roof on the 5th. Should have it done in the pm of the 6th. Will leave here in the early pm of the 7th and party for a week in your neck of the woods. I'll look you up when I get into town. Are you playin Moto-cop agian this year??
                            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                            1-big XS patch
                            1-small XS/XJ patch
                            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Yes, nice looking seat. Will the 80-81 special seats fit the 79 special?
                              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                              1982 XS650
                              1980 XS1100g
                              1979 XS1100sf
                              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                              X