Rear Master Cyclinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Master Cyclinder

I have rebuilt my rear MC twice. The first time it lasted about two years but the last time less than a year. I would like to replace the rear MC with an aftermarket one. Any leads on a replacement which would work would be appreciated.

I have already changed out the front MC and it works both front discs so I only need a MC that will work for a single rear disc.

Steve Cook
    Fayetteville, AR

Oops!

The bike is an XJ1100.

Just look on ebay. There are some rear m/c's on there from an xs11.

Comment

Along with EBAY,
      I did a search and found this on Old BIke Barn, just another option!

Rear brake master Cylinder
      425 | Category: Brakes and Chassis | Part: Master Cylinders | OBB Part #: 08-0263
      Description:
      Alloy body Master Cylinder Assembly with remote fluid reservoir & hose. 10 x 1.25 threaded outlet.Adjustable Clevis. 13mm bore x 12mm stroke. Has two 8mm holes @ 49mm center to center mount in upright vertical or horizontal position. Universal

$99.95
      Applications: Universal
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hi topcat!

still stuck in Blue Ridge GA awaiting the rebuild kit for my rear master cylinder... anyway, can this part from Bike Barn you listed be retrofitted to replace the rear MC in a 79 XS?
        Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
        The Rats
        Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Comment

Hey Doc,

Sorry to hear about you being stuck, thought you had gotten that rear MC fixed, but I haven't read your latest email, been kinda busy this past week .... if you saw my Forward Controls reply!

The description says Univeral....mounted vertically, the actuator rod connector looks very similar to the rear one on the XS, don't know how the bolt holes would line up, might have to make a mounting plate, but otherwise should work just fine!

Hope you get fixed and back on the road/home soon!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the reply! I may try that new cylinder when I get back... the rear brakes were working fine when I left FL, then the pedal went all the way down... in GA they fixed it with an O ring, not a rebuild, and it worked for 3-4 days... then in TN no brakes again... I don't know enough about this stuff to even describe what's been done, but I ordered a rebuild kit from Bike Bandit... it is supposed to be at the shop in Ellijay GA by Tuesday, and they will put it in... I hope that does it! I am really hoping to continue on to the Blue Ridge, but if I only have front brakes I will probably find the staightest most level road I can find and head home with my tail between my legs!

PS I also laid the bike down in some gravel on a driveway about a week ago in TN... the fairing is 2-3" off center now... any idea what it would take to bring it back to center? I am planning to ask the shop that is doing the brakes about it...
            Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Most likely you've just bent the mounts for it, and would possibly be a matter of having to take the fairing off, and rebend the mounts back to their original position, and then put the fairing back on! I don't remember if yours is a full fledged Windjammer style, or just a handlebar mounted type?? IF the latter, should be easy to see where it has shifted! If the larger, might be a bit more $$ to work on it!? Yeah, highways, you can handle with just front brakes, but the mountains and twisties are a bit tougher with just fronts! Sorry to hear about your spill! Glad you were alright!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

thanks, I will see if the shop here can do the bending... no word yet on the parts getting here... BTW I met a XS lister named Bohn, he was staying at this motel... he has a beautiful 1100 and 750, both hand polished to a great gleam...
                Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Working...
                X