Strange Starter Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Starter Noise

Took my XJ out for her first trial run after new forks and bearings. But when I first started her I got this strange noise.

I want to describe it as a "electrical grinding" if anyone can visualise this, electrical as opposed to mechanical grinding, when 2 metal parts come together. Its almost sounds like an electrical short in a motor, motor tries to turn but it keeps arcing or sparking but there is no fire or flame. My hunch would be the starter solenoid since I can take my thumb off the starter, push it again and it works fine.

I know sounds are hard to describe, at least electrical ones but does this behavior sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Rebuild time...

Sounds like it needs new brushes and if you've been trying it much, it probably needs the commontator reworked as well and of course new bearings......

Something to keep busy at for awhile...
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Re: Rebuild time...

I would replace brushes and clean all contacts before doing anything else. That should be easy and cheap.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey JackSF,

Partsnmore has the brushes:
        STARTER BRUSH
        Set of 2 - Fits All XJ1100

$12.00US /Set

Part#24-2021
        However, $35.00 minimum order, so you'll want to shop around for more goodies to maximize your order, free shipping!!

Or, you can pay BikeBandit for OEM ?
        13: BRUSH 1 30131-001 $18.66
        14: BRUSH 2 30132-001 $18.66

Bike Barn is also pricey:
        Starter Motor Brushes
        1939 | Category: Electrical | Part: Starter Brushes | OBB Part #: 24-2021
        Description:
        Pack of 2 Replacement Starter Brushes. 12mm x 14mm x 6mm. Brush for Mitsuba 2 Brush Starter Motors. 1 pc. (+) Brush Insulated Lead. 1 pc. (-) Brush non insulated lead. OEM #: 31201-292-158, 31201-MG9-004.

$25.95 a set

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks T.C. I saw them when I was getting my seals. I need some other stuff so I will go ahead and get it all at one time. (unless I get the dreded "out of stock")
          82 XJ100J Gone
          83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

OK, ordered 'em along with a bunch of other stuff I MIGHT need

Now, lets see......the starter looks like????? one of those round thingies I think

If oil come out that means its not the starter

( I know what the starter is)
            82 XJ100J Gone
            83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Working...
            X