Other wheels that will fit my XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other wheels that will fit my XS1100

I am looking for a rear wheel that will fit on my XS1100 E standard.I have a tube type rim with 2 bead locks now and would like to go to a tubeless rim. Can anyone let me know what other rear wheels will fit. The reason is that I was running the crap out of my bike popping wheelies and doing burnouts when the bead locks slipped and tore my tube.I was about 50 miles away from home at the time and had to wait hours for someone to come get me with a trailer.
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Look for a wheel from a 79-80 or xs11 standard. They are tubless. Or stop doing the burnouts and wheelies.

Comment

Hey John,

Shouldn't he include 81 as well, as long as it's a standard, so he'll get the 17" size, vs. the 16" of the Specials!?

And he can do his wheelies and burnouts, just as long as he has his SIDESTAND UP!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC

You ain't gonna let that rest, are you?

Comment

Sorry John,

Just thought it a bit ironic hearing chastising remarks about his "hotdogging" activities coming from you, but I reckon you were just trying to offer some "Fatherly" advice to help him be safe and not suffer the same consequences as yourself!!

I'll let it rest in the hopes that you will be able to rest as well!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

tubeless?

John,
            I can't speak for the '80 standard, but the '79 xs1100F (Standard) takes a tube.
            Tubeless rims will have "Suitable for tubeless tires" stamped on a spoke.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

My 80G standard is definetly tubless.

Steve
              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
              Norton Electra - future restore
              CZ 400 MX'er
              68 Ducati Scrambler
              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Complete change

The Dutch XS1100 club used to have a great page of projects - most of which had modern wheels.

Favourite seemed to be using Yam XJ900's (Diversions). Last time I mentioned these it semed that they are not US imported models... so really I'm teasing you juys over the pond.

Just looked for the webpages to link to - but the site looks like it's going through a rebuild - so I cant show you the results.

Obviously to match the front end you need the yokes (triple trees) and a nice straight weld - to plant the XS stem onto the new replacement (XJ yokes).

The Diversion back wheel seems to slot right in - the shaft drive crown wheel mating the Divvy wheel - AND (unlike VMax wheels) - the tyre isn't too big for the XS swinging arm.

As the Dutch site is down - here's just an uninteresting picture of the European 900 Diversion.

Any US guys desperate to get your hands on some wheels / triple trees I'd be happy to look in some local UK breakers (boneyards)
                XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                Guzzi 850
                Z1000

Comment

You need a rear rim from an '80 up. The '78 and '79 are both tube type. I'm running an '80 front rim with my stock '79 rear for now. I hope to replace the rear in a few years, as I've just put all new bearings in the thing!
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X