Mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg

After having the carbs cleaned and reinstalled the bike runs pretty well. But instead of 33mpg I am at 23mpg. Any suggestions on adjustments, air/fuel screw...... something I can handle myself. boone
    "Don't look at me in that tone of voice."

1977 Pontiac Trans Am SE
    1980 Yamaha 1100 Midnight Special
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado

Hey Boone,

A variety of things can affect MPG. Okay, had the carbs cleaned, by yourself or a shop?? Were they resynched once reinstalled? Are all the vacuum hoses attached to the proper places, like the vacuum advance hose connected to the #2 carb body metal port, not the Intake Manifold port?!

If a shop rebuilt them, what parts did they use/replace. Generic Pilot and even main jets from K&L and such have been known to be way off, too rich, causing more consumption and poor performance. Also, floats may be set too high?

You say it's a MNS in your profile, but you don't say what year? Please edit it to include for later discussions and assistance!

Ignition timing can also cause problems, if too retarded especially!

Also, is this MPG city or highway!? Okay, that'll get you started!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

City or Highway

Just wanted to know what MPG people are getting City.

Just got my 80LG in sept but only have driven in city. I'm currently getting about 28mpg in the city. Is this good, has a 4-1 pipe oem air box but don't know about the carbs.
      It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
      81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
      82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
      82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

MPG

82 XJ1100 MOSTLY CITY WITH A FEW LITTLE 20 MILE TRIPS, I GET 40MPG
        Thanks Tom
        82 XJ DAILY RIDE
        78 XS1100E FIXING UP
        79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
        79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
        80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
        82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

I know better but I just can't resist it. At 60 mph on the super slab, I'll get around the 40 mpg. Crusin at 80 I get around 26.3803680981. Figureing 3.26 gal at 86 miles. If ya want to play, Ya got to pay. It's a little boring doing the 60mph in a 75 mph state that will let you get away with 80-85 and an occasional 90+.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Prior to the big bore, I used to get 33 mpg at 70-75 mph, but now I only get 27-28 at the same speed. I used to be able to squeeze 115 miles to a tank under normal use, but now if I get to 95 miles, I had better be pulling in to a gas station. I know the capacity of a Special is 3.9 gals, but on the one occasion that I did run out of fuel and coasted into a gas station, I could only get 3.6 gals in the tank. and that is filling it to the bottom of the short fill tube. I used to get 100 miles before the fuel light comes on, and now it comes on around 85 miles. When I get healthy enough, I am going to attempt to enlarge a tank using a tank from an xs 850 Special and an xs11 Special tank. Dennyz made a large tank (6.2 gals he says), and he built it from a stock tank and pieces of sheet metal. I figure that I can use two tanks and have pre formed metal to use.

Comment

Thanks for the info John. Don't know about big bore kit, might have been done by PO, Is there an easy way to tell.

P.S. Try to loose your erector set asap. Glad to hear your doing better.
              It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
              81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
              82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
              82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

with my 80G. cruisin about 80 MPH, I get about 25 MPG. I never get much better because when I drive slower, I am in the city.
                Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Feel pretty good about my gas guzzler now.
                  My 79SF with 78 style Yamaha fairing and 78 standard gas tank,(from 90-100 miles per tank to 140-150 miles per tank) Winning Preformance 4 into 1 header/exhaust tuned for the XS1100's, K&N filter in stock air box, 145 mains and 45 pilots. I gets on avg. between 30.5-32.5 mpg with an avg. hi-way speed of 75+ mph. From 100-109 miles per tank.
                  I remember when these bikes first came out hi-way mileage was between 40-50 MPG @ 55+ mph. Now with 70+ mph on the hi-ways these 4 Mikuni Carbs sure likes to guzzels down that gas.
                  Do'Lee
                  XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                  (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                  (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                  (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                  SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

I tend to get about 38 MPG regardless of fast or where I drive. A few years ago I nnoticed that my mileage was steadily decreasing until I was finally getting about 25 MPG. I discovered that my front brakes were dragging slightly which really ate up the gas. After roto-routing the spooge hole in the front master cylinder, my range really improved.
                    1980 XS 1100 Standard
                    1980 XS 1100 Special
                    1982 XJ 1100
                    1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Just did a fullup on my 80G, back and forth to work on back roads, about 15 miles one way. Never more then 55mph, rpms 3K - 5K. Bike seems totally stock. 40 mpg.

Steve
                      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                      Norton Electra - future restore
                      CZ 400 MX'er
                      68 Ducati Scrambler
                      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I've been checking my mileage over the last several fill-ups and have been getting a consistent 39 to 40 / gallon. Fuel warning light comes on at around 125 miles.
                        My two year old Granddaughter has renamed the "Barney" bike to "Dora". I can see her reasoning as Dora is an 'Explora'.
                        Mike

1986 Venture Royale

Comment

Just purchased a 1982 XJ with 35,000 one owner miles, rode around lake Coeur D'Alene (about 130 miles) with the wife and got an even 50mpg,

Comment

Working...
                          X