Woohoo!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohoo!!!

Well after many months of weekends under and inside of my bike, I'm happy to announce it's finally running!!!

As it turns out the pickup fix had been done to the bike, but very badly. A quick repair and Vroom!! Then sputter sputter. Only had what gas was still in the carbs...

Didn't have much time after that to start tuning things, or make sure everything was running right, but I'm happy as a clam that one major hurdle is done. Getting the brakes right and fine tuning the carbs are all I have left now.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help since I started. I couldn't have done it without yall's help!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Feels like christmas doesn't it?

1979 xs1100sf
    1972 cb500 four

Comment

Congrats JW!! Don't forget you have Nashville Bill over your way and he has a lot of knowledge!
      Don
      99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Congrats!
        Keep the rubber side down!

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Thanks all!

Put more gas in it today and started it again. All four cylinders are firing strong and it runs pretty well considering the carbs still need to be fine tuned. My petcocks are toast, as well...they never stop. I'm hoping they are the main cause of the gas overflowing out of the intake. The float I thought was stuck wasnt after all. Will have to rebuild them, flipping the gasket and bending the washer didnt help

Found out I have a bad exhaust gasket on the #3 pipe, too. Real loud where the pipe bolts on and the pipe moves in and out a little. Ordered those today

Didnt even let out much more than a few puffs of smoke then ran clean as a whistle. Pops some when I goosed then let off the throttle...that means rich, right?

Was nervous when I saw the puddle of oil forming underneath it until I realized it was just the gunk on the bottom of the engine melting off. Need to hit that with a pressure washer.

Ah yes, soon, very soon
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Keep the pressure washer down low and away from the wires and electronics. A can of automotive GUNK cleaner and the plastic bristled plate scrubber from the kitchen works wonders. Take a razor blade to an old toothbrush and cut the bristles down so the whole thing fits between the engine fins if you have goop in there, too. (A good tool for hard to reach places)
            Popping when letting off the throttle... decelerating... means lean, but also could be from a leaky exhaust system, like your header gaskets.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Wooohooo Indeed!!

Well, got the brakes working pretty well, and have the carbs set close, so there was nothing left to do but ride!

Man oh man, what a ride it was!

This beast can fly!!

I goosed it into 2nd gear my first time out and thought it was gonna come out from under me!! I had putted around to get the brakes right, but it hadn't prepared me for just how much power it's really got.

I didn't want to get on it too hard at first, but it was like it begged me to keep riding it a little harder. Sadly, the speedo isn't working quite right yet, reporting a way slower speed than what I was going. I'm hoping that after a splash of WD-40 it will work itself out like I've heard on here. The odometer seemed to be working ok, from what I can tell.

30 miles and no real problems. Except maybe this permanent grin plastered on my face.

The plugs are telling me I'm running a bit rich. I can only imagine how fast it is when it's all dialed in right. Can't wait to find out!
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Comment

Hey there JW,

That's great news!! Ride it a bit more at highway speeds, and do the THROTTLE chop technique to check your plugs, not just when you get back home, otherwise you may be reading the pilot circuit more than the mains!

So....does this mean we'll see you at the VJMC Rally in Oct. in Suches, Ga.?? You know all the great twisties that can be found, cause you live near them!!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK, will do.

I spent most of the time getting the feel of it and relearning how to ride. Stayed under 40 most of the time, just cruising around an industrial area near where I'm restoring it. Getting in traffic unnerved me. I've got to do it more to get used to it again. Could stand to get new mirrors too. I've got to get a jacket, as well. Been Joe Rocket shopping all day.

Upon reflection, I think my wrists disliked the handlebar position. They were sore this morning, as well as my forearms. I'm looking at getting a GL1100 set of bars and trying those. They're cheap enough on Ebay I was holding on with a pretty tense grip some of the time, though. Clutch is a tad stiff, too. Made my piano time this morning rather interesting!

Hmmm, never been to a rally. Sounds like it might be fun! Will have to see what my work schedule is like then.
                  80 XS1100SG
                  81 XS400SH

Comment

I've got the GL1100 bars on mine, and they are more comfortable than the OEM Buckhorns! Yeah, takes some getting used to being in traffic and such. Have you ever taken a Motorcycle Safety Course!? Just a thought! The rally is usually held around the end of Oct., Rob Reil of Motorcyclecarbs.com hosts it! It's for Vintage Japanese Motorcycles, so all sorts show up, and not just vintage...he's very loose with attendance. The roads are quite fun and twisty, so you'll definitely want to get lots of practice!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

So....does this mean we'll see you at the VJMC Rally in Oct. in Suches, Ga.?? You know all the great twisties that can be found, cause you live near them!!!
                      T.C.
                      T.C., could you send me info on this rally? Might be able to ride mine...

Thanks

noeleo

Happy XSing
                      Midnight Rider

1980 XS1100LG

Intruder Alert!!!

2002 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

XSive rules. Ride it like you stole it, unless it's mine. Then just PUTT, PUTT, PUTT!!!

Happy XSing

Comment

Working...
                      X