Fork Oil on Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Oil on Calipers

Finished replacing my front forks, new seals, whole thing. Originally I blew a seal and fork oil drained down onto the right caliper overnight. Today I pulled off the caliper, took it apart and cleaned it all out, only thing I didn't do was pull the piston, just squirted it liberally with brake cleaner.

All put back together but don't seem to have any bite on the rotor. I tried resurfacing the pads, maybe not enough though. Or.....think the pads are toast? If I have to replace them its not a big deal, just don't want to if the old ones work. Only about 1k on them.

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

I'm assuming you also cleaned the rotors with a good solvent in case any of the oil got onto them. Try removing the pads again and giving them a bit of a soak in acetone or lacquer thinner, or a cleaner like Castrol Super Clean.

Another option would be to try to lightly burn them clean with a propane torch.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

OK Ken, will give that a try. I did clean the rotor using brake clean but maybe I will go over it again with acetone and also some very fine emery paper.

Thanks

Jack
      82 XJ100J Gone
      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Update on Oil Soaked Pads

After putting everything back together, scuffing up the pads and rotors, cleaning with acetone, etc., etc. still couldn't stop with just the front brake. It just slid like there was grease on the rotor (not).

I pulled the calipers again, pulled the pads and they felt just like glass even with all the work I did on them.

I had an extra set of used pads, swapped them out and now it works just like it used to (which isn't saying much) but at least I can stop.

My suggestion would be, toss the pads. Its not worth messing with them IMHO.

Jack
        82 XJ100J Gone
        83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Working...
        X