standard handle bars on a Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standard handle bars on a Special?

I have changed my handle bars on my special to narrow bars from a standard (? I think?). Anyone done this yet? I already ordered a new standard clutch cable, shorter I think although I haven't gotten it yet to measure. I mounted the front master cylinder, but it is at a nasty angle, although it isn't leaking from the cover, yet. The upper brake hose is long also, anyone measured a standard front upper hose from banjo to banjo? Throttle cable seems a bit long also, but looks like it might work.

Really interested in how these will work, more of a forward leaning position and seem about the same width from grip to grip, with a muuuuch better grip angle.

Any help or ideas?

Steve
    80 SG

I put after-market, extended Honda GL1100 bars on my special without any problems. I didn't have to change or modify a thing and the fr. brake res. sets ok.
    Santa Jim
    79 XS11SF
    79 GL100
    83 GL1100 I

Comment

Hey Jim,
      Do you have a picture of your bike with the aftermarket goldwing bars. I would like different bars for my 81 special, but I don't want to lean foward like with strait bars or 2" raised bars. i need a set with almost the same reach, and would rather the stock cables work. Just need to do something about the handgrip angle.
      Bill Woods
      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

I bought some cheap-o "Daytona Superbike" bend bars and mounted them on my 80 Special.. They are 30" across with a four inch rise, but unlike the original roto tiller bars, they come back at a splay more natural for my wrists.

I lean forward ever so slightly.

Managed to route all original cables and hoses although the brake hose has a pretty severe "S" in it now.
        Rocky
        00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
        80 XS11 Special -sold
        77 HD Sportster
        75 Norton Commando

Comment

Rocky,

How did the master cylinder ange end up? Have you noticed a difference in the control with the new bars?

Thanks,
          Steve
          80 SG

Comment

I'd be interested too.. Rusty has the "special" bars, and the Mongrel has the standards..

would like somethign inbetween...
            jeff "Wags"
            Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
            79sf rusty
            79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Different bars

Hi folks. I just thought I'd put a different angle on the choices available as I've got a '79 SF with '81 RH sport bars fitted. These are really great as they're 3 piece, fully adjustable bars so they should suit nearly everyone. They give a slight forward lean and are comfortable (for me) for much longer than the seat is. Bonus is that they're a factory part so availability shouln't be a drama either.
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

test ride

Well I got the little stuff worked out like throttle cable routing, moved it 2 times before it worked right and went for a short ride. Within 20 mins my hands were tingling, bars certainly have a different vibration to them. I looked at the prev thread regarding and will try some of the suggestions.

I don't think these are standard bars. I measured them and they are narrow at 29" to the end of the grips. Which creates another problem, mirrors now give an excellent view of my fore arms. Italian driving matra, "whats a behind me is of no consequense".

Brakes work but hose worries me.

Will post pics soon. Sure like the new grip angle. That may be worth it all!

Steve
                80 SG

Comment

"daytona superbike bars" - master cyl angle is good. Control is better than before, but its no FZ-1. Will send pics when I can bring home the camera from work.
                  Rocky
                  00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
                  80 XS11 Special -sold
                  77 HD Sportster
                  75 Norton Commando

Comment

Working...
                  X