Front brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake pads

I can hear my front brake pads rubbing when I start out or slow way down, kind of a scraping sound. I assume that's because they're worn and need replaced?

So I went online to replace them, and it looks like there are several different pads for different xses. It even looks like the left pad set on the front is different from the right set. Is this right or am I simply reading it wrong? Mine's an '81LH (Midnight Special).
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Hey Michael,

I just learned something!! The front pads for the 81LH are the same as the 82XJ1100. They ARE different than the 80 or 81 Regular Specials!! And Yamaha lists separate part numbers for the left and right sides, so....looks like you'll need to find specific pads for the LH or the XJ for the front, and get both right and left sides!

81LH 4W1-W0045-00-00 BRAKE PAD KIT, FRONT
    4W1-W0045-10-00 BRAKE PAD KIT, FRONT
    same as XJ1100

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

www.partsnmore.com has lots of goodies for the XJ1100.
      82 XJ100J Gone
      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll use the part numbers you supplied TC, I'm grateful.

Long story short, I caused this myself. I got a new torque wrench, and I wanted to try it out. So I attempted to torque the caliper bolts to the required 32 ft. lbs., only to discover that I wasn't using the wrench right and I torqued the threads right out of the caliper. I "fixed" it with a longer bolt and a nut on the backside. The scraping sound is an aluminum thread. Ouch. Looks like this will cost me more than the dollar or so I thought!
        The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Originally posted by Michael March

Ouch. Looks like this will cost me more than the dollar or so I thought!
          Not a big deal to fix this. Drill and tap(or have someone else do it) to the next larger size... standard or metric, doesn't matter as either one will hold the caliper in place.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
          X