Trying Not To Shoot Muffler Parts Across I-40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Not To Shoot Muffler Parts Across I-40

Hi. I'm new to the site. I've been reading it for quite some time however and want to thank everyone for the amount of help I've gotten from it. I've gone from someone who was scared to change my oil to being able to rip out the carbs on a moments notice. So thanks.

So here's some background. I was driving from Taos to Alburquerque the other day and my baffle blew out of my bike across traffic around 5pm. There were a few too many cars going a bit too fast to entice me to pull over and run across the highway to pick the baffle up. So now I have a set of Jardine 4-2's that have one baffle and one hollow pipe. It's real loud--and kind of smelly. And I'm kind of dismayed at the propsect of paying $341.99 for a new set of pipes.

However, I was looking at other parts of the site today, and I saw the tip on adapting Harley Davidson mufflers for XS11's. (http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=102)
    I looked at E-bay and realized that I might be able to fix them for less than $50.

This is exciting, but here are my questions: I know that I won't be able to follow the specfiications exactly because the tip is for stock, and I'll still use the Jardine 4-2 headpipes, but is it basically that I lob off the pipes on my bike, shove the new ends on with about 1 1/2 inches of overlapping metal and put a bolt through them? Is that it?

I'm a bit nervous about that holding it. Would something like that be able to break the bolt easily and send more pieces onto the highway? What are your thoughts?
    1979 XS1100SF

Hi you should be able to buy individual baffles to fit the pipe they are usually held in with a rivet or a self tapping screw
    Jim
    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
    and SOXS
    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Hey Rider,

The slip ons usually have a slotted section about and inch or so long in the mounting flange, and a large O-ring type clamp fits around the pipe, squeezing it tiightly like a hose clamp. The end of the slip ons will have a mounting bracket to attach it to the frame near the pegs.

However, I've seen generic replacement baffles in JC Whitney catalog. Also, check Jardine, might be able to find baffles or info about same on their web site.?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I picked up a nice looking set of mufflers at Mike's XS.

They look great and the spacers included helped me fill in a gap left by the PO cutting the muffler off too far back, too close to the 2-into 1 pipe. Once I get it welded up it'll hold forever. The other side bolted right on and is solid as a rock! Great prices, too.
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding.

TC, I see the O-ring clamps still on my pipes, those should definitely make my life easier.

I looked around at all the others slip ons. And went ahead and got some Harley ones because I could get both for the price of two of them at Mike's XS. They should get here in a couple of days so. I'll keep you all updated on the progress.
          1979 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
          X