Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Can't Be Happening To Me (Headlight Ears)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Can't Be Happening To Me (Headlight Ears)

Finally got the new seals in my forks, everything fit just the way it was supposed to, nice and clean. Slid them up into the tree, through the air thing and into the top forks. Sweet as pie.

Went to put the headlight together, had an extra set of ears in real good shape, no rust unlike the set I took off that were all rust.

THE SUCKERS DON:T FIT!!!

The angle on the part that the turn signals go through goes \0/ instead of /0\. They can only fit one way since one of them has a lower connection to the bottom of the headlight frame. I didn't even know any other bike used these things other than the XJ1100. The forks and tripletree that came with them were all from an 1100 and were the same as what I have.

Guess my only recourse is to strip the old ones down as much as I can and then paint them black. Or, wait till I find another set on ebay.

Its days like this, i'm so pround of doing my first fork and front bearing job, feeling on top of the world, then run into this type of situation. I have a feeling I had better not do any more today...the bike just might end up in the ocean.

/rant off

Sorry for unloading here...hopefully you guys and gals understand.

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Ears Revised

After writing the previous message and sitting down, gulping a ice cold RC and reviewing my options I thought I would try one more thing.

I just put them in a vise, bent them to the angle I need, checked them with the old ones and, if I do say so myself, very close, close enough to work with no problem.

Had to tap a little crease out after bending but problem is solved.

Guess it just goes to show that sometimes you have to step back, especially when you're doing something for the first time, and give your brain some time to catch up.

Everything is now coming up roses (until the next time, and there WILL be a next tiime)

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

It's amazing what you can do if you try hard enough.

BTW, I think the 750 Seca used the same headlight and turn signals. I'm sure about the signals but a bit foggy on the rest.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
      X