Shift Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Light

I know most of you do not Drag Race your XS's. I really need to install a shift light onto my bike, I was told by non Yamaha riders that in order to do that, I have to change my ignition, to work with a shift light. Is this true? Any suggestions?? Also, a racer friend of mine gave me some Accel Coils for my 80XS, has anyone ever installed these? What kind of plug wires should I use? Thanks!!

I'm no expert but I think many shift lights work by reading the signal to No1 coil (in your case No1 and 4). I can't see why it wouldn't work, just that you might need to set the light to double the RPM for it to work right.

Comment

Check the tech tips, about using replacement coils. Most use the solid copper stranded plug wires!

Yeah, I thought the shift lights were just an "idiot" light set to come on at a certain rpm, so it measures the coil trigger signals, just like most standard electronic tachs, but since our coils fire once for every rpm, whereas a single coil for a 4 cylinder engine fires twice for every rpm, so hopefully the shift light/tach has a setting for a 2 cylinder engine?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X