No announcement yet.

sudden petcock change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diaphragm LOOKS OK but I guess it's shot.

TC, You are saying to use the existing T's as Y connectors and then just send the single line to the carb T with maybe a filter in between? Repeat on other side and this retains both Reserve and Prime via both petcock levers? As simple as that?

Also, sorry to have missed meeting you and the other folks at Bainbridge. I was really looking forward to it but just couldn't make it work. Definitely next time! Havin fun with your project bike?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

I haven't been working on it lately, cause I was busy prepping my ride for the rally,and then being on vacation. And now, it looks like I'll be picking up another XS11 standard....but in many parts.
      The P.O. was going to swap the parts onto a FRAME that he could register....long story, but then got tired of the whole process, and went and got himself a HAYABUSA instead ! So... I'll have yet another bike in my garage....it's getting cramped in there, but I don't mind, yet!

Also, I've got to get things back in the works making more of the Spin On filter adapters, have had several inquiries, and even a prepayment without even asking if they are still available, and I don't want to keep him waiting too long!

I'll be getting back into the basket case soon, though! Sounds like you're getting the bugs worked out, and will be riding soon. Yes, sorry we missed ya, but there will be other Rallies.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Last post on this, I Promise. Just want to get it right the first time. Am assuming my previous post conclusions are correrct before I start cutting fuel line? Also is there any reason not to turn the carb T's facing upward - a straight shot up to the petcocks instead of where they are currently routed- both lines between 2&3 carbs.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

This is a long shot, but I accidently switched the petcock handles on the standard after I rebuilt them. The indicators were then not correct. BUT I remember that you tested the petcocks and the octo was the culpret, so ... nevermind.

Originally posted by laxdad
          Well, with the tank off, both petcocks operate properly. On and Res turn on 1 & 2, Prime turns on 3 & 4 and Off turns both off.

It would appear that the octo is the culprit. However, Dragonrider, you thought the petcocks should turn off no matter what the octo is doing. But 3 & 4 were being turned on when tank was on the bike on off! Thoughts?

Regarding testing my octo. It is in my hand with the back removed. The rubber pieces look intact and the center plunger thing operates. How else can I diagnose it?
          Thanks!!!!
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Typically the rubber fails where the two are are connected together....they leak there. Fuel is passing through the one side and leaking out the vent hole...basically, if it's leaking out the vent hole, the diaphrams are shot...

A good one can be tested...with no vacuum applied, fuel (or air blown by mouth--not high pressure) should not pass through it on the fuel lines. Vacuum applied to the vacuum port should "open" it so fuel will pass through...but there should be NO bleed-down of vacuum or leakage of fuel to the vacuum side or out the vent hole (the small hole in the side of the plastic center piece)

The petcocks cannot be affected by the octopus. If they work with the tank off, they'll work with it on....BUT...there is crossover on the octopus, so if you left one petcock on and disconnected the lines on the other one you would still get gas out the lines...could be mis-leading you...
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

fuel line routing

Is there any reason the stock fuel lines loop down around the air intakes before connecting to the carbs? Or can you just run from th petcock right straight down to the carb T (T facing up rather than original down facing). Octopus is gone! Hope my (turn off)memory is gonna work OK.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

I think the factory looped the hoses to prevent kinking. There are a couple of ways to run the lines w/o the octopus. You can run the line from the right petcock to the left carbs, and vice versa, That keeps all bends smooth and flowing, as I have done on Foster Child, or you can just connect both petcocks together (using the proper ports) and just T into the connecting line where each carb fuel line would intersect the connecting line. That is how I have the plumbing on Twilite Special. You only need to remember to turn on/off one petcock that way. I can run at high speed and not have any fuel starvation issues, and I use 1/4 inch hose. On the petcock handles...the handle should cover the function selection on the outter ring of the petcock, ie handle down would be ON, up is RES, foward is OFF, and to the rear is PRIME. That is applicable only if you have a Specilal or an XJ.

Comment

Working...
                X