Header color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header color

are blueing headers a definate sign of a lean mixture. If so, once I get it richened up, can you un-blue them?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Yes, blue is from heat, and a lean mixture. There are some products that claim to remove the blue, I'm just not sure how well they work.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It depends on how far they are blue... Single wall headers always blue up near the head.

With a lean running condition. they can blue more than half way back to the muffler.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Lean or rich

Single wall headers will get blue, no matter what you do. It is just a matter of temperature. The temperature of the exiting gas is around 1200°C. You can remove it, but it will come back.
        On mine '78 with 4 in 1 the headers are blue until the hit the collector. And the engine definitely does not run lean.
        But going 120 mph for two hours will turn them blue.
        XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Re: Lean or rich

Originally posted by SG-Olli
          Single wall headers will get blue, no matter what you do. It is just a matter of temperature. The temperature of the exiting gas is around 1200°C. You can remove it, but it will come back.
          On mine '78 with 4 in 1 the headers are blue until the hit the collector. And the engine definitely does not run lean.
          But going 120 mph for two hours will turn them blue.
          You must have thinner headers than I've ever seen here in the USA. I don't think I've ever seen a set turn blue past the second bend on a good running engine but we don't have an Autobahn either.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
          X