tubeless rims on some F models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubeless rims on some F models

I just stumbled across this bit of info - the 79F came with tubeless rims starting with S/N 2H7-026951

(edit 8/29/02: that information is from the 79SF microfiche tech bulletin supplement)
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

i just changed my front and it had a tube , but i left it out cause i thought all mags were tubeless . it hasent lost any air yet
    should i be concerned?
    karateman

Comment

Originally posted by karateman
      i just changed my front and it had a tube , but i left it out cause i thought all mags were tubeless . it hasent lost any air yet
      should i be concerned?
      I would be, but that's just me. In my opinion if is is suppose to have a tube then it should have one, tires are your only connection to the road. Your rim will say on it in big letters 'tubeless' or 'tube type'. Check it out. The tube type rims have a different bead shape from what I am told.

Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

rear brake bracket difference

I just mounted a tubless (16 inch) rear wheel on my 79F. It originally came with a 17 inch tube-type rear wheel.

I ran into trouble with the brake mounting collars... it looks like the tubless style wheel requires a slightly different caliper mounting bracket.

I suspect (though I'm not yet sure) that the later models had the thick aluminum caliper bracket mounted to the outside and the thin steel braket mounted to the inside. This would make the thin steel bracket easier to manufacture (as it would be straighter, and the dies would be simplier).

Anyway... until I get this figured out I had to remove the rear brake assembly and build a substitute spacer for it.

No great loss... both times I've been in accidents it's been because I over-used the rear brake during a panic stop !!!

Now if I coud just get those SS lines on the front ....

Comment

16' wheel on an F

Hey Networker.

I have a 79 F on which I also replaced the 17" rear wheel with a 16" wheel from a 79 Special. I've been riding like this for about 2 years with no problems. There are 2 brackets on the brake caliper that fit to the axle. I installed a spacer between the two brackets on the axle: frame, "thinner bracket", spacer (about 1/4" or so), then the "big" caliper bracket, then the wheel. Hope this helps.
          I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

My "F" came with a tube in both tires. I took a good look at both the rims on my "F" and the tubeless rims on my "SF".

The rear rims on both bike look to be made of the same material and same construction (except one is 17" and the other 16"). The "SF" was marked "Tubeless" on one of the rim spokes. I tapped and plugged the rim lock holes on my 17" rim. I have been running without a tube for the last 30K miles.

The front rims where much different. In my opinion, the rim that came on my "F" was not as strong as the one on my "SF". With both rims side by side, the differences where obvious. The bead shoulder and center webbing do not have as much material on my “F” rim, compared to my “SF” rim. The “SF” front rim also is marked “Tubless" on one of the spokes. I picked up a “tubeless” rim and discarded my stock “F” rim. My concern was that the original rim may not have had the rim strength to support a tubeless tire.

I put a lot of trust in my front wheel and would hate to have it fail.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

16 inch wheel on a 79F

Hmmm.... That's the way I originally put it back together. But, The disk edge and the caliper mounting bracket would bind on the outside and stop me from tightening the axle.

It looks like the thick aluminum bracket needs to move outboard an additional 1/8 inch to place the disk in the middle of the slot...

I was thinking the following might align better. From the outside in <-- frame, spacer, thick bracket, thin bracket, bearing dust cap, wheel.

I know, it's not right.... but the disk binds against the caliper mounting bracket......

Jim

Comment

I had a similar problem when I put a 16" wheel on SWMBO's 'H. It took a bit of mixing and matching with collars, and a bit of grinding on the inside of the right swingarm. That installation now looks like this:
                [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20020831-dsc01888.jpg[/IMG]

This compares to the 17" installation:
                [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20020831-dsc01889.jpg[/IMG]
                Ken Talbot

Comment

RE: 16 inch wheel on 79F

Most Excellent !! I assume you had to grind on the right-side swingarm so that you could tighten the axle nut down far enough to get a cotter pin though the crown nut.

Thanks For the pictures Ken!!!!

Comment

Actually, I had to grind the right side swingarm just to make room for everything. I probably cussed at it for about half an hour till I figured that it just wouldn't fit without the grinding......
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

tubeless yeah!
                      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

My original F ...

that I bought some time during the summer of 80 had all tubless. My riding buddies had Es and were stuck with tubes. Those boys were envious of my tubless rig ... especially when one of them got a flat. They learned to carry spare tubes. There was, of course, no internet then and a group of 3 XS11 riders in one place was a lot .... not much fresh info comming in other than what we figured out. Even replaced a second gear on one of the Es back then. Those issues showed up early sometimes.
                        80G Mini-bagger
                        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I have a 17inch rear tubeless rim, with bearings, you supply plastic dust cover and final drive spline $45 shipped in continental USA also have 19 inch front tubeless with bearings $45 shipped continetal USA. Cosmetically clean and nice,if anyone wants to upgrade, thanx andreas, just send me a PM,

Comment

Adnreas, you are the ...

bomb-schinzzle Love the way you pay attention.

I was looking for one of those, myself, earlier this year but finally found it. Anyone who would like one of those should jump on it ... they aren't easy to find.
                            80G Mini-bagger
                            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Working...
                            X