Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter bolt won't loosen...

'haven't changed my oil since March...

the oil filter bolt loosened (then) with a ratchet and 12mm socket.
    When the new oil filter was installed it was 'snugged' but not 'torqued' real hard...

'tried to loosen it tonight so I could change the oil AND filter but with the socket it would not budge - the socket actually 'slightly rounded' the bolt head. The socket would no longer work, so I tried a 12-point closed-end wrench - it just got worse...

I remember a thread about an oil filter bolt that broke off in the engine block - deja vu is staring me in the face... I do not want to go there...

...any suggestions??

1980 XS1100SG

This has happened to me many times in the past. The chances are that the bolt won't break off in the housing. I have used the Sears "bolt out set", item #952160. I think the #7 remover works, at least on my XJ. If it rounds off even more you can drop down to a #5. Might have to drive it on the bolt with a hammer, just don't use too much force.

In the past when nothing would work I ended up using a dremel and cutting the head off the bolt, pulling the filter housing off and then using a small pipe wrench.

It just takes time.

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

When you do get it off, take it to a welding shop and have them weld on a 19mm nut, right over the existing rounded-off 12mm. The bigger nut doesn't mean you will then have to tighten it up with gorilla torque, but you will be sure you will never have a problem in the future with it rounding off and getting stuck.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

12 point tools

Throw them away and use a six point no more rounding of nuts...MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I'll second that! Get a six point socket, might have to tap it on with a small hammer. It REALLY makes a difference. Grips on the flats, not the corners.

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

There's a filter cup and bolt for sale on E-Bay right now
            Rick
            '80 SG
            '88 FXR
            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Just throw that whole horrid filter housing away and install a TopCat oil filter adapter like I did
              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Re: 12 point tools

I'll bet you can also get it to budge if you throw a strap wrench around the housing. It has about a quarter inch of play, one way or the other, before the allignment tabs stop it from turning. I would definately use a 6-point in conjunction with this however!

Originally posted by mitch
                Throw them away and use a six point no more rounding of nuts...MITCH
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: oil filter bolt won't loosen...

Originally posted by UncleSpot
                  ' 'tried to loosen it tonight so I could change the oil AND filter but with the socket it would not budge - the socket actually 'slightly rounded' the bolt head. The socket would no longer work, so I tried a 12-point closed-end wrench - it just got worse...
                  ...any suggestions??
                  Drill an indent just off center of the chewed up bolt head. Then stick a center punch in the indent and lean it into the direction you want to rotate it and tap away with a hammer. It takes a little finesse but it's not all that hard either.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X