Little Spring on Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Spring on Fork Seals

This thing has been driving me crazy all day. Its not bad enough that I put the forks back together wrong, wondered why they would "spring". Thought I had read the manual correctly but didn't so have to take it all apart again.

Anyway, this spring...it keeps popping out, no matter what I do. If its not in there will it have an impact on the seal? Cant see that it puts any pressure anywhere, more of an irritant to me at this point.

RTFM!!! I should follow my own advise, not that anyone asked

Jack

BTW, I put the damper rod inside the lower and then slid the outer over it (wrong). Thought I had ended up with a chopper since the forks were so high..
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

spring

Are you talking about that spring, that's hooked together like a circle, that rides in the inside lip of the fork seal? That's the gizmo that makes the seals seal. Definately needed.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: spring

Originally posted by prometheus578
        Are you talking about that spring, that's hooked together like a circle, that rides in the inside lip of the fork seal? That's the gizmo that makes the seals seal. Definately needed.
        Yep, thats the one. There's one on the top and one on the underside of the seal.Its the top one thats a problem. It sets real loose inside its groove. I imagine that the seal swells when fluid hits it.

I tried to push it under the circlip but it won't seat so I guess I pull the whole thing apart again to get the spring in.

Now I know why good mechanics are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Jack
        Last edited by jacksf; 07-03-2005, 09:44 PM.
        82 XJ100J Gone
        83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

.. sounds like you are goning to have to buy another set of new seals

Comment

Hey JackSF,

Like Prom's diagram, I've only seen 1 spring on the underside of the seal, the part that fits around the shaft. I've never seen an extra Exposed spring on the top? I'm wondering if that was stuck to the washer from the failed first seal, and you didn't see it when putting it all back together?! Should just be the seal, washer and C-clip. So...as long as the seal has the spring around the inner edge underneath, then that should be al you need.

I realize that this reply is many days late, but just got back from the NY rally and my extra few days in NYC!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hmmm. Now I am confused. There was no washer, just the c-clip, seal and a metal gasket with a lip, below the seal, seated on the ridge of the inner tube.

I had ordered the seals from partsnmore, have had good luck with everything I bought from them. I did notice the seals had springs on the bottom and on the top but the top spring just sorta laid in the groove whereas the bottom springs were deep inside the groove.

I've already ordered a new set of seals from another company. Since I put the forks together wrong and have to start over I figured I would go the whole way.

Thanks T.C.

Jack
              82 XJ100J Gone
              83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Hey Jack,

Sorry, my faux paux, you're right, no washer above seal just Circlip, but there is that spacer below it. Just reviewed parts fiche for XJ! My 81SH HAD the washer!

It's been several years since I've had mine apart, can't remember if there's a spring on the inside of the dust cover, just trying to help figure out where that extra spring came from!

Good Luck! T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Gotta say, its been a learning experience, as has anything else I have worked on. Thanks to all the great help from all of you I manage to get through it without too much trouble. When the new seals get here I will be able to finish her up with very little trouble.

Jack

(Just wait til I start on the carbs)
                  82 XJ100J Gone
                  83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

One Last Question

Ok. Got my new seals. Just to recap, the spring side goes down, right? The ones I got are Vesrah (sp?) and they have one side solid and one side with the spring and I don't want to have to do this a 3rd time .

Thanks

Jack
                    82 XJ100J Gone
                    83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

The spring must be on whichever side of the seal has is exposed to oil, so that's towards the bottom of the fork for conventionals.

TC I bought some new (vesrah) seals for my hayabusa forks, fitted them yesterday, and they had springs on both sides. A normal one on the inside and a smaller one sealing a small lip on the top of the seal. I think it is for scraping water off the fork legs.

JacksF if it's the smaller top spring that is missing I would say that the forks should work perfectly well without it.

Comment

Working...
                      X