What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Ebay has a listing for a set of guages for a 1980 H Standard.
    I thought 1980 standard was the "G"? I also see that the speedo goes to 180mph. Mine only goes to 80mph. What is this for, a 1978 standard and the seller miss identified the year?
    Thanks for any clarification please.
    Dan
    80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
    Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
    I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

most standard clocks are the same,the square ones and the spacials had round clocks,most 1100s from europe and parts of the states had the 180 speedo but some had the 80 speedo,it depends i think on the law at the time or somethink like that,it has been talked about it before on here.

Comment

78s and 79s in the US came with a 160mph speedo, Then in '80, all vehicles in the US were restricted to speedos registering no faster than 85mph...some idiot thought, in the time of the national 55mph speed limit and Reaganomics, that we would slow down if we couldn't see how fast we were going. (Hmmm...I see a new poll...how many of us with 85mph speedos have used the tach to figure out how fast we were REALLY going after we had the speedo pegged??)

They lifted those restrictions sometime in the mid 80s, I don't recall exactly when.

The 160mph speedos are pretty coveted items...I happened to luck into one on my donor bike, and I've been running it for a couple of days now that the motor swap is complete. It's pretty accurate, but very slow to come up to the accurate speed or back down after stopping...not exactly the scenario I want to run with on the long trip I'm leaving on Friday. So I guess the 85mph clock goes back on (sigh) until I can work on the other one.
      Tom Hunt
      Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
      1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

I have one from ebay that did exactly that. After a few weeks of use, it started functioning normally.

Originally posted by bikerhawk
        (snip) I've been running it for a couple of days now that the motor swap is complete. It's pretty accurate, but very slow to come up to the accurate speed or back down after stopping...not exactly the scenario I want to run with on the long trip I'm leaving on Friday. So I guess the 85mph clock goes back on (sigh) until I can work on the other one.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
          I have one from ebay that did exactly that. After a few weeks of use, it started functioning normally.

That's what I'm hoping for. I just don't think that I should be running around the upper Midwest, through little towns still alive only by the grace of tourist, uh, "revenue," with a speedo that's not showing what I'm doing RIGHT NOW.

I'll put the 160mph speedo back on when I get home. It was really cool yesterday to look down and see the needle on 80...pointing straight up at 12 o'clock, rather than over far right in "I'm giving her all she's got, Cap'n!!" territory.
          Tom Hunt
          Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H

Comment

160 Speedo

I have a '79 standard with the 160 speedo and it was like you say "slow to respond" until I had put some miles on her then it works fine. I also have a backup 85 mph speedo from a scrap yard that hasn't been used by me yet.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hmmm...maybe I'll leave it on there, but pack the 85mph clock just in case. I've got 525 miles to put on Friday, and it's 99% interstate hauling, so maybe it'll be loosened up by then. If not, I'll slap on the 85 for the 2-lanes and little towns.

Thanx for the input...it's good to hear a couple different people say the same thing. Maybe it's time for that bicycle speedo like some guys have done...
              Tom Hunt
              Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H

Comment

Thanks guys
                I want one too(160mph speedo)!
                Good idea about checking speed after 85 using the tach! My tachs not working yet. But I know I was doin at least 100 mph the other day. I had plenty of throttle left.
                Mamma says if I ever do that again she's gonna throw my keys in the ocean.
                She'll never know!
                80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

Working...
                X