speedometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer cable

broke a cable. Does anyone know if this will fit my 78 E?

Anyone have a better source for new? This is my 2nd used cable on this bike.

Travis
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

oops,

this

4559161835 ebay item number.
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

Hi Travis,

I don't know whether that auction cable will fit, but the starting bid is $13, here's three USA based internet suppliers of replacements under that price.

Speed & Sport $ 12.24
      "34X-83550-00-00 SPDMTR,CABLE"

MR Cycle $ 7.10
      "SPDMTR, CABLE (16M-83550-01-00)
      (replaces 2H7-83550-00-00)"

Cycle-Parts.com $ 8.82
      "SPDMTR, CABLE"
      Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I've got one listed on Ebay item number 4558233930. Incudes the speedo drive. It came off of an XJ1100 but lookes identicle to the one on my 79. Current statues of auction, Cheap..cheap,,cheap
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

put it in the my ebay. will bid this afternoon; thanks very much
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

speedo cable

hey parr8head, and others. I just went through this last week or so. speedo quit. had a spare laying around, put it on . It quit! Had to replace the whole speedo assy. turns out i never or anyone for that matter, lubed the workings in the speedo itself!I got a new cable from the yammy dealer for 13.00 works real good now
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

lubed the workings? How? Did you take the speedo apart?
              Travis Miller
              1978 E

Comment

bought a new cable today put it all back together. not sure if it works, have not ridden it yet. I put new back brake pads on too.

I could not for the life of me figure out how you got the speedo apart. The old cable was broken in the middle so i am sure that is my problem. lubing the speedo does make sense though to prolong the life of the new one.
                Travis Miller
                1978 E

Comment

sorry parot

i still did not lube mine. I thought someone on this site made mention of doing it though. Jerry ? I just replaced the cable with new one and used the assy i got in trade from another member of this great site.so far works lovly. i tried to spin my speedo with the broken pieace of cable and it was very hard to turn ,so i knew that was the culprit.
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Parr, get a screwdriver and pliers and butcher the rim off in a nice way. Split the corners first. Delve in deep and clean up tarnish and gunk. Oil or grease things that you decide need oiling or greasing. Seal the rim back up. Be inventive to make it look pretty again. Bugger all spares down here (N.Z.) (U.S. open holders cough cough) No other choice. Over there in the States ya can just pick up another speedo dime a dozen.

Comment

I bought a new cable for my 78E last year for around $20 from a place called the Rice Paddy here in columbus. I think they have a web site if not here is the #614-297-1404. They are also a source of used parts.
                      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

i am hoping that a new cable will make the difference. the last cable that i put on was off of ebay. it was probably as old as the first cable. I wish that i would have used the old part of the square cable to see if the speedo was hard to turn like chevy said to do. i just read the post too late and now everything is back together and I am lazy!
                        Travis Miller
                        1978 E

Comment

Travis,

There are previous posts about opening a speedometer, and/or tach, by cutting around the rim with a dremel tool.

But, I once had problems with my tach, caused by, believe it or not, a SPIDER that crawled inside and spun a web, which caused the tach needle to become erratic, and jump wildly.

So, after learning that there was no “easy way” to remove the glass face, and wishing to avoid “cutting around the bezel” with a dremel, I experimented.

If you think you must open your speedometer, this technique will work.

Using a small, # 1, 1/8” flat blade screw driver, carefully pry the bezel lip upwards from the body, in very small increments. After going 360 deg. around the bezel once, and raising the lip slightly, use a toenail clipper (larger and heavier duty than a fingernail clipper) to gently grasp the slightly raised lip, and continue around the bezel, prying it carefully towards 90 degrees vertical. Patience, care, and a light touch are needed, so as not to over bend any one section. After working it in this fashion, the bezel loosens from the main body and can be removed. Take care not to pry too hard, and break the glass.

Once inside, clean and lube as required.

Then, replace the glass, bezel, and carefully re-bend the edge all the way around with small jaw vice grips, to secure it.
                          Rick
                          '80 SG
                          '88 FXR
                          '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Working...
                          X