Painting Triple Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Triple Tree

Since I am doing the bearings I thought it would be good to paint the tree at the same time. Its not rusty, just sorta grungy. Any suggestions on the type of paint to use? I did use Rustolem (sp)? on some other parts on my XJ750 but wasn't terribly pleased with the results or the wear.

Thanks

Jack
    82 XJ100J Gone
    83 XJ750 Seca

Hey Jack,

From what I've been told, Rustoleum has Fish Oil in it's mix, okay for lawn furniture! Try some engine paint, either flat or gloss, whatever you prefer, at your local auto store! Might want to use a wire brush or such to slightly roughen up the base paint to allow the new coat to better adhere to it!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

There's times I wish my bike was lawn furniture, like now, when the whole front end is hanging down (she's never let me down in 14 years)

Thanks, will see what they have available.

Jack
      82 XJ100J Gone
      83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

I used the satin black engine paint on my frame parts. The small stuff, like the tree, can fit in the oven. If you can bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes the paint looks good, and won't chip. I used a heat gun on the larger parts, just let the paint dry, then heat it up to cure it.
        Just don't let the boss know what you have in the oven!!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Is it better to use a metal primer first ?
          82 XJ100J Gone
          83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

I have a triple tree (top) stripped. It is shiney and good looking like that.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You're right, its really quite pretty with nothing on it....but I went ahead and painted it anyway.
              82 XJ100J Gone
              83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Working...
              X