Excuse this silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse this silly question

Well I think my XJ is running fairly well and I'm wondering about the cruising speed of my bike. I am used to big twins that will turn 2500rpm's at 65 or 70 mph. My XJ runs significantly higher. I like to cruise at around 70mph. I feel nervous looking at the tach and seeing 5000rpm's. Will this bike sustain those R's for a long ride and still be considered normal conditions? I'm not a hot-dogger and considering all the work Ive put into this bike, I want it to serve me well. Thanks,

puv
    78 GL1000 superbike
    82 XJ1100 "now" project
    2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

5k is just about the right engine speed for 70 mph. Tht is just the bottom of the power band. Try running at 5k in third gear, and grab a big ol' handful of throttle and twist! Yee- f'n-hah!!!

Comment

I, too, was a little concerned when I first started riding my XS and noted the "high" engine speed. You get use to it after a while though... especially after you start getting into that roll on power!
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

These bikes will run all day long at 70, or 75, or even 80mph. SWMBO and I look forward to our summer trips south of the border where we can use the interstate system for just plain getting from point A to point B at those kinds of speeds.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

I remember reading in an owner's manual for an earlier model Yamaha, XT-500 2cylinder 4 stroke, 4 valves per cylinder street bike. It stated that the cruising RPM is about 2/3's redline!!

TWIST AND SHOUT!

John left out a few things, Yee...clank...Oh sh*t...f**k....bang...
          crash....Ouch....Oooooh....Ahah!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Seems like these bikes just start to sing at about 75 mph.
            Last summer I was riding fairly quick to make an appointment normally about 2 hours away.
            6 a.m. .... misty fresh air..... calm winds.. ..bright sunshine at my back... good road ....no traffic....nothing but nature.
            It was a truly refreshing ride! The bike sounded and felt great. Got there way before 8:00 a.m. but let's keep that between us.
            Dennis

Comment

I run to Denver every summer. Other than being forced to 65mph through Oregon, it's 85-90+ all the way. Your bike will love you for it!
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

inline 4's are made for revving on a bike all the jappos are the same about 4000@60mph the pistons love 6000 liesurely going up & down 100 times a second anything under the cobwebs'll start to take hold.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                  TWIST AND SHOUT!

T.C.

Hahaha...ain't the the truth...I am waiting on a new speedo cable so I can actually tell the speed. For now...4000 in third is the city city limits...4500 on the hiway in fifth is the hiway limits, and anything over that is...mow-ow-chicky-chicky-mow-WOW!
                  80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Right On!!!!!!!!! I can't wait now. I usually take a ferry boat to work and back but I can ride around about 60 miles to home from work. I Think I'll ride around tonight!
                    78 GL1000 superbike
                    82 XJ1100 "now" project
                    2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

John left out a few things, Yee...clank...Oh sh*t...f**k....bang...
                      crash....Ouch....Oooooh....Ahah!!
                      T.C.
                      Hey T.C. I left something else out too... When does the ooooh and ahhh part start? So far it's just been mostly ouch.

Comment

Rode from Columbus, OH to Long Island, NY in one day once. The bike hummed all day @75+ and the only thing that suffered was my rear end.....
                        Missing Link
                        Keep the Shinny Side UP!!

Comment

Every since I put in the 6th gear kit into mine it only runs about 3,800 rpm at 75 mph. Just love it.
                          Travis Miller
                          1978 E

Comment

Heh, he, he just kidding. The 6th gear kit also included a "wide tire kit, electronics renewing kit, and fuel injection that just bolted on. Got it all on ebay for 19.95!!!!

Seriously mine loves the 100 mile or so cruises at 75 mph and around 5000 rpm. Such a sweet spot.
                            Travis Miller
                            1978 E

Comment

Originally posted by Parr8hed
                              Every since I put in the 6th gear kit into mine it only runs about 3,800 rpm at 75 mph. Just love it.
                              You just about got me horny and wet bro...just about...ya BS'er...
                              80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X