Tap and Die Supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap and Die Supplier

Hey guys... had a post a while back about tapping out the idle mixture screw/pilot screw hole on my carbs. Having a hard time finding the M6x0.5mm bottoming tap, however. ...no one around town has one. Any suggestions on where I can find one of these little gems over the internet? I'm stymmed!

Thanks!
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

I would think Sears would have it, or can get it.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I read the same thread and used this one: www.e-taps.com/ofertapage%20001.htm.
      I just bought the starter tap and the bottoming tap a month ago. They ship really quick and their prices are pretty good, considering the odd-ball size. Good luck.

Comment

You guys are quick tonite! Thanks for that, by the way. That link didn't work though... what was it again, ajvot?
        Corey J. Bennett
        '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Nevermind, ajvot. Found it on the site. Sorry for being lazy. Is it necessary to get both the starter and the bottoming tap, however?
          Corey J. Bennett
          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Okay, so now I'm rapid fire with the questions tonite. I guess I should think about all my questions before I post. Anyway, I was shopping around and took Czekus21's advice and checked out Sears. I didn't find anything for M6x05mm tap, but I did find one for No. 3 tap (which is what e-taps.com referred to the M6x0.5 tap as). Is a No. 3 tap a M6x0.5 tap ALL the time?

I'm dumb founded by the world of taps and dies, if you haven't noticed. :P
            Corey J. Bennett
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

It all depends on how bad things are. I had one air mix screw that was seized into the housing threads. I ordered the starting tap to help get things on the right track. It's probably not necessary, but use your judgment.
              By the way, thanks to the original poster for this link. I had one hell of a time finding the right size tap. The .5 pitch is the tough part.
              As for the quick response, I feel like I live on this site. I find all of the posts very interesting. I want to know all I can about my bike so I can take pride in getting it on the road. Trust me when I say, "I aint no mechanic."

Comment

I hear ya there brother! I'm, at best, a mechanic in training... I share the same desire as you though, and truly appreciate this site. Again, thanks for the help and your dedication!!!
                Corey J. Bennett
                '79 XS1100SF

Comment

.. no matter how many bikes you have touched a wrench too
                  or how long you have been doing it we are all mechanics in training
                  a new learning experiance rolls up onto my lift every day

Comment

For hard to find stuff like this, my first stop is Mcmaster-Carr. They take small orders and are real quick in shipping. And they do list 6 x .5 mm taps in taper, plug and bottoming.

Steve

http://www.mcmaster.com/
                    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                    Norton Electra - future restore
                    CZ 400 MX'er
                    68 Ducati Scrambler
                    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

check this out
                      http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
                      it is a huge catalog with all kinds of cutting tools
                      kinda the bible of the metal working ind
                      http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                      78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                      78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now