Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with valve cover!

Hey folks,

I decided to pull my valve cover off of Godzilla to both replace the rubber half moons, and to reseal the gasket/new one, along with check my valve clearances since I hadn't done that in 4 years since my rebuild! The last time I had the cover off was at my rebuild, and I had the engine out of the frame for that, so was no problem getting to the cover and bolts. However, this time, was still in the frame. Was able to get to all of the bolts except the one center front one!!

On my 81, there's a cross beam just barely about an inch above the bolt, and not enough room to fit an allen wrench to loosen it. I used a pair of pliers to grab it to loosen it, but that was just the beginning. Then it wouldn't clear that to pull out, even with removal of all of the other bolts, and pushing the cover forward and tilting it up in the back to angle the hole to try to clear the cross bar. And you can't slide the cover sideways much because you hit the cam sprockets! I finally had to DREMMEL cut off disc the bolt, thankfully the local hardware store carries replacements, but since there wasn't room for the allen head style, I went with a hex head bolt, had to cut it to length, and then I cut off one side of the head "I thought" to allow room for it to slide past the cross bar.

But it wouldn't fit, I was able to place the bolt in the cover, and then push(read forced! ) it over the cam sprockets and under the cross bar just barely and finally into place! So.... I was just wondering if many other folks had a similar problem getting that bolt in and out to get their valve covers off and on?!

BTW, I had 1 intake valve that was slightly over tolerance, .008in vs. the .04-.06 range, but that was more preferable to being too tight, and I didn't change the shim, that will decrease with the engine at operating temp, and I know I'm not burning valves, perhaps a slight more valve tappet noise....IF I can hear it over the pipes! Just getting it ready for the NY rally next weekend!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

WOW, T.C., that’s quite a story!

I looked at my SG’s valve cover, and the forward most center bolt does have a cross brace tube above it, that connects the frame downtubes. It is about an inch above, but the bolt is back just far enough to allow its removal (although its tough to get an allen wrench on it)

I wonder, is the position of the engine, in relation to that frame crossmember, different between ’80 and ’81? OR, is there any chance your motor installation put the motor ½” too far forward? (I don’t see how that could be possible).

My general thought is that Yamaha engineers are very detail oriented, and would not have allowed that interference to get into production. Seems to me it must have occurred after the fact?

Just looking at it, could you have drilled out the threads in the head, and installed a bolt “upside down” with a nut on top of the valve cover?
    Rick
    '80 SG
    '88 FXR
    '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

TC
      On mine the bolt is about 1/2 in rearward and about 1/2 inch downward from that crosspiece. Tight, but didn't have a problem...
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

long allen

i used a very long allen socket with the ball end on it (so it acts like a swivel ) Worked for me
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

.. putting a stud in the front might cause a problem when replacing the valve cover [less clearance]
          you might want to check your front motor mount rubbers, maybe they're worn letting the motor point down more than it should, that big motor puts out a lot of torque ,more flex and movement
          .. i have never had an 81 model but i dont know that there would be a differance
          maybe your bike has been in an accident in a previous life

just guessing

Comment

Thanks for the input guys,

Yes, Godzilla had been in a previous incident, but just the front forks involved, however, could have stressed the motor mounts? The front ones look okay, but might be slightly compressed on the leading edge?! Yeah, I know about the flexing in the frame of the engine, had it work an exhaust nut loose on a rally run to Ga. a couple of years ago, then about 1/2 way on the trip home noticed my exhaust was getting louder, pulled over and found 1 of the flange nuts missing! Thankfully was able to find a auto parts store open(Sunday), and get a replacement put on!

I have a 79SF sitting next to Godzilla, and the position of the bolt seems more posterior? I like the idea of a nut and bolt configuration,(Gene...I think he meant thread a headed bolt up from below and put a nut on top), will see how fix this holds, if not then I'll convert to that! I don't really want to replace the engine mounts right now. I'm getting it ready for the NY rally! Just replaced my exhaust gaskets, checked vital fluids, new plugs even though the old ones look good, they'll make good spares! It's in the 90's down here as well, we'll see how long I last in the garage, have 2 fans blowing!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Like chevy45412001 says, check out a ball-end allen wrench. That's all I carry on Tsunami now and they work great!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
              X