81 Special Choke detent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 Special Choke detent

Some where along the line the P.O. thought it was okay to leave out the detent on the choke linkage on my POS from New Joicy. So I am in the short rolls of restoring the machine to its full, former glory and would like to have this part. Besides it is a pain holding the lever while trying to bust it off. So...if any one has a spare choke linkage I would be more than happy to buy or trade for it.
    Thanks for your help,
    Dan
    Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
    81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Hey Dan,

DO you have the rod that connects the 4 carbs, and the lever that pulls the linkage out? Is it that it just won't stay pulled out? What holds it out is not some extra piece of linkage, but just a little spring and a little ball, about the size of a "B-B", it fits into the little hole on the front of the #1 carb body, and I think also the #4 carb. There are 3 depressions in the back posterior edge of the choke bar, and that's what the "bb" presses into to partially hold the bar pulled out! You have to put the spring and "bb" in first, and the slide the choke bar over it to press it in so that it will press against the depressions when pulled out to "choke" position. So...it should be just a matter of finding a "bb" and spring! HTH?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Chances are the spring is still there, and all you need is the wee ball bearing.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the directions and words of advice. I'll tear into it tomorrow and see what it is that I need exactly.

Who know with a little practice I might actually regain some of my mechanical skills. Now if I can only remember how I did it the last time...
        Dan
        Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
        81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

BTDAN,

that wee ball is:

93501-08001-00 BALL (1/8 INCH)

If you can find any 1/8 in ball you're in business! Good luck.

Comment

Yes, the balls fall out easily, but the springs usually stay in place. I used a ball from a typical key chain - it was the right size, and works fine.
            Rick
            '80 SG
            '88 FXR
            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

If you want an IMPROVED choke - don't worry about the BB's. Just place a brass(self lubricating) washer on the lever. Gives a fully adjustable choke range - you're not stuck with just two positions.

Comment

http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~patrick/leverr.jpg
                Hurry up though, patent is pending.

Comment

Working...
                X