Big Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx Guys gana try that as soon as i get Home
    SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Comment

Hi guys, let me see were to begin...............Ok. 1. It apears as though the PO has Saftey wired my Ignition Advance Mechanism, to where it wont move( please remember im probably wrong) but there is definatly some steel wire crimped under one of the 2 screws and wrapped around a small post on it if this is normal, if so please tell me (as i should go put it back on), also is The IAM supposed to be loose enough to turn with your hand( the elecrtonic part not the big metal circle)

2. I tried to start the bike after i checked the wires running to it, NOGO so i turned the IAM back to were it was held in place and started and (i also had the oil filler cap off i had just put 1 quart of oil in it, and for got to put it back on) and had a ton of white smoke billow out of the oil fill spot........

What do you guys think, thanx
      SSHHHHHHHHHHH (Cant talk now the Squirrels are Watching)

Comment

Hey BossHogg,

The 80 "IAM" is a bit different than the others, in that Yamaha used some Special breakoff bolts and spacers to secure the timing plate in place, to prevent folks from trying to tweek the timing advance for emissions reasons. Take a look at the link below, it won't display in this message, but you'll be able to see it when you click on it, enlarge it to Full Screen. Then look for parts #12 and 13 near the bottom, that's the special bolt/washer, you'll see where it shows it goes. The P.O. didn't try to obtain the OEM breakoff bolts, or any bolts to try to secure the plate in place. IF you hold the main part/outer part like it was previously secured, then apply suction to the vacuum module, you'll see the INNER portion should still rotate, which is the part that rotates during both cent. advance and vacuum actuation. The Outer housing should NOT move, hence the wires to secure it, but you might want to try to find some bolts/screw or nut combo that you can use to secure it better than the wire. Then you may want to check the timing with a timing light to ensure it's lined up right!
        Hope this helps?

T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That p.o. may have wired up the vac unit to stop it twitching, (probably had trouble with a fluffy low range) so therefore the bike was running on a full vacuum advance permanently. Snip the wire and you're back to how it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X