X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Corey,

Here's the MikesXS pilot screw #48-5011

Here's the XS11 80-81 series pilot screw:

Both appear to have the same point and shoulder combo, so if yours doesn't look like the top picture, then they may have sent you the wrong ones? Being a little shorter shouldn't be a problem cause it was supposed to come with it's own washer, and spring which might be shorter than the XS11's, but should match the 650's shorter one. I just don't know how far down the threads go in the pilot screw well, but hopefully you should be able to still turn it in until it reaches a gentle seat and then be able to turn it out the desired turns!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Upon first examination, it seems like the thin point on the end of the MikesXS parts might be missing from the parts delivered to me. But when the questionable parts are held up to the carb it looks like they might work. I'll try them first, before I make any hasty assumptions. However, to try them I gotta wait on my tap. Be here in a few days, let ya know then.
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

The shorter needle should work. They worked in mine carbs.

When you get the tap, compare the theads by placing the tap threads on your needle threads. They should line up perfectly. Please verify before using that tap. Just in case I gave you the wrong size. Where did you order the tap?
        '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
        Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
        '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
        Stan Hutchison

Comment

Ordered it from e-taps.com. The URL address is http://www.e-taps.com/ofertapage%20001.htm. The 6x0.5mm bottoming tap is on its way to me. I "eye-balled" the thread count with the old screw next to a ruler... your suggestion seemed to be right on par. I'll check it when it gets in though, to triple check.
          Corey J. Bennett
          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

I am having a hell of a time with my carbs where if possible can i buy new ones at?
            If not I guess i will have to find a decent mechanic..
            ~greg
            XS1100 Midnight Special

"It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool than to open it and prove them right." ~unknown

Comment

Greg: try eBay. They are often a great source of parts. If that doesn't work, keep asking around the forums. I might say, however, that for the price of "new" working carbs, you could probably buy a complete set of internals for your carbs. Besides, there isn't a guarentee that "new" carbs will any better than your current set.

On another thought, the MikesXS pilot jet screws where a success. Fit like a charm, after a little reconditioning with the quality tap from e-taps.com. Now the bike's running a little lean, but I think I know the steps to tune it up right! ..if not I sure know where to turn. Thanks, again, everyone for your help!
              Corey J. Bennett
              '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Originally posted by xsivelybad
                I am having a hell of a time with my carbs where if possible can i buy new ones at?
                If not I guess i will have to find a decent mechanic..
                ~greg
                Hang in there Greg, do them one at a time and follow the tech tips plus other tidbits folks give you. You'll get the things working without taking the 357 to them.
                Don
                99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Working...
                X