Changing style of handle bars on XJ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing style of handle bars on XJ ?

I was thinking of changing the style of bars to more of a drag bar. I have a couple of nice risers that look like they might work if I take the original bar mounts out of the tree. Has anyone done this (or something like it) before to an XJ11? If so, I'd like to see some picks.

puv
    78 GL1000 superbike
    82 XJ1100 "now" project
    2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

I change my xj bars . You have to drill the hole lager in the triple tree to get the risers to fit, but its pretty simple. I used a set of pull backs off a vstar. You will need to find a set of 7/8 inch drag bars unless you are changing the controls out.

gone riding

Comment

I recall a previous thred on this...my recollection is that you can remove the XJ risers and put on the XS bar clamps, then go with different bars. The top of the forks are splined and it is only a question of replacing the XJ units with XS ones.

Keep in mind, though, that the XJ bars are adjustable up and down and also in and out. Much easier to 'tune' the bars to your liking than having to swap bars until you get the fit you like.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Damn, I keep aking the same error...

In my earlier post I said the top of the forks was splined. This is not correct. Looking at the parts fiche the handlebars are held to the tripple-t by removeable "holder, handle lower" splined studs. These studs are bolted to the tripple-t and can be removed.

I don't have my XS fiche handy, so don't know if the handlebar mounts are bolted to the tripple-t in a similar fashion. If they are, the swap from square to round bars should be fairly easy.

You may have to move the XJ ignition switch. It currently is centered between the 2 lower square arms, and round bars would pass right over the top, making it impossible to put in the key. If the round bars were offset toward the rider, or on risers to raise them, this may not be an issue.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I just realized that the risers I have are for 1" bars. Does anyone know of a collar (adapter) that would fit it? I'm trying to think of a make shift way for it but can't think of anything yet.

Nice pic swamp thing. I like the look. Was it difficult to make all the adaptations? I thought it was a royal star at first.
          78 GL1000 superbike
          82 XJ1100 "now" project
          2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Comment

Thanks puv

The mods were not to hard a little triming on the fenders and had to chop the very rear end of the frame where the xj grab rail attaches, but no major frame alterations. A lot of hard work ebaying though to get cheap parts.
            I don't know of any adapters for a 1 inch riser, you might be better off looking on ebay for 7/8 risers.

gone riding

Comment

Working...
            X