Gas Tank Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Rust

Things are progressing pretty well on the resurrection I am trying to perform on the 78 XS 1100E I bought and the few questions I have had have been answered for me by you guys. Thanks!!
    I don't have a lot of time to devote to the rebuild work due to my work schedule but I hope to be driving in a couple of months. I'm trying to take my time and pay for parts as money is available for my play-toy.
    Could someone tell me a good way to clean the rust out of the gas tank. It was sitting for a couple of years and you can hear the rust when the tank is shaken. (not stired)
    Sounds like heavy flakes in there. I know I can get that out but what about the rest that must be lining the tank??
    Thanks again for your assist.

try a product called "kreem." it comes in a kit, first you use a acid base cleaner to prep the tank. once this is done you would then coat the inside of your tank. when all is said and done you should have a new inside liner in the tank. to do this right takes about 2 days..

this product can be picked up at any mc shop about 35.00 to 40.00.
    Gary Chenoweth
    1979 xs 1100 standard w/mods "cujo" Nows needs a home
    Some mods include:
    stage 2
    4 to 1
    pods
    need paint help on tank though.

other bikes are:
    03 shadow
    01 monster
    93 gsxf 650/mods

Comment

I would try cleaning the tank up, then check for leaks BEFORE going to the "kreem". I used some 1/4" short stainless steel bolts I had around, put a handfull into the tank with some B-12 carb cleaner, and shake, rattle and roll the tank for a while. I did this twice, and got 99% of the rust and gunk out. I would fill the tank all the way full with water to check for leaks. If you don't see any, drain, add gas and a can of gas dryer, to soak up the last of the water.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Take out your petcocks first and plug or your petcock towers will be toast.

Originally posted by DiverRay
        I would try cleaning the tank up, then check for leaks BEFORE going to the "kreem". I used some 1/4" short stainless steel bolts I had around, put a handfull into the tank with some B-12 carb cleaner, and shake, rattle and roll the tank for a while. I did this twice, and got 99% of the rust and gunk out. I would fill the tank all the way full with water to check for leaks. If you don't see any, drain, add gas and a can of gas dryer, to soak up the last of the water.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Sorry skids, I didn't send in a complete explanation. You should also remove the sending unit and plug the hole up with a cardboard/saran wrap plug.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gas Tank Rust

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give em a try. Can't wait to finish this little toy and take it out

Comment

I prefer caswells epoxy over the cream stuff...longevity and all, but that's a personal preference...you might want to google around a bit on both of them...
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Well,

I was worried about any remaining rust when I cleaned mine over 4 years ago when I rebuilt my machine before learning all of the tricks and tips we have here. SO..I found some sealer in JCW auto section for tanks with rust, will seal right over it, just have to remove the loose flakes. Just can't use alcohol type fuel! It's been sealed for these 4 years now. But Seafoam doesn't harm it!
                Just another suggestion! I also removed the fuel sender, the petcocks, the gas cap, sealed with duct tape, then added sealer, sloshed around, drained, hung to dry for 2 days!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I went to the hardware store and got about four feet of small chain like they use for a childs swing. It was just the right size that I used the screw for the gas cap and anchored it into the gas cap screw hole, threw it in, and did the shaky. After that I poored in a half gallon of gas or so, rinsed and dumped a couple times and put it back together. Worked great.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

.. the local brit bike guy reko turned me on to this stuff that makes the inside of your tank look like new. he puts this stuff in before he repaints the outside of the tank.. it is called rust guard silver from wurth, says on the can "seals rust permanently no need to remove rust befor applying" ..i bought mine from a boat place here in town it cost $25 a qt ..you just knock the scaley rust off then mix it, pour it in and roll the tank around to cover the whole inner surface ..you have to roll the tank around about every 10 min for about 2 hours if you dont it puddles at the bottom. .this depends on how much you put in, it does'nt take very much
                    .. if you get it on the paint on the outside get it off fast or it will never come off
                    ..if you get it on your hands you might get it off in about 2 weeks
                    i have had it in my norton for a year now and the inside still looks new
                    .. i have two tanks sitting on the shelf that have been lined with the kreem and it looks like crap in there

..good luck

Comment

How about removing the rust through electrolosis. Washing soda, an anode and a battery charger will do it. I have a XS650 tank I'm going to do soon.

I know the specifics are online some place.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Kreme... BAH!

Had kreme in my tank. It's great stuff!!
                        It pulled away from the side, forming a big airfilled blister which displaced the last half gallon of fuel in my reserve, which in turn, afforded me the opportunity to take a nice, leisurely stroll along the moonlit shoulder of a scenic stretch of Wyoming highway.
                        I have only great thoughts about this product.

(Dear Mr. Kreme,
                        Your mother breeds out of season... Blah, blah, blah."
                        Hugs and kisses,
                        Prometheus)
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

washing soda

jetmechmarty
                          I was out again yesterday looking for washing soda. I can't find any. Where to look?
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I think you can buy ARM & HAMMER washing soda at the grocery store. I did this trick at a friends house last month and I think that's where he bought it. That rusty metal turned to new over night and no good metal is destroyed.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Jet

I would like to know more about this arm and hammer wash bit sounds interesting,,if it works should be in tip section!!

Comment

Working...
                              X