My 80 XS11 SG is *BACK* on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 80 XS11 SG is *BACK* on the road

'got splattered on the hiway last month, 'spent some time in the hospital, and a couple of weeks at home... now going through physical therapy, 'comin' back strong, and ready to ride again...

every night 'spent a couple of hours taking off "structurally modified" parts and ordering stuff from BikeBandit, and eBay. 'Also 'bought an 80 XS11LG for a couple hundred buck$ - mostly to cannabalize (too much busted or neglected to get running anytime soon...)

'stayed up all night last night to finish the bike up - I saw "light at the end of the tunnel" - and for once it wasn't an oncoming train....

you can see WHY I'm in love again here:
    (just HOW do you post a photo here anyway?!??)
    **I editted your link, you needed the [IMG] and /IMG brackets codes around the URL, and you left out a "/" after the "http:/" part! T.C.

I'm closing my shop early today and going for a L-O-N-G ride

1980 XS1100SG

Hooray!

Another one reserected, and another rider back on. Ol' Twilite Special will be back... and I'll be on it. It only needs 14 hunderd miles before it rolls over at 100k miles. I don't know how long it will take either of us, but I'm not going to rush into anything. Glad to hear that you and your bike have recovered so well. Wish me luck.

Comment

John,
      what parts do you need? I went to eBay and bid on *multiple* parts to get my bike back up and running - 2 sets of handlebars, 2 side stands, multiple turn signals, etc...

I found BikeBandit *very* useful and helpful - I *WILL* get most of my *new* parts from them from now on. The local Yamaha shop is a *JOKE* and I'll never set foot in it again.

I'm still praying for your recovery John! Let us know when you're getting better, and what parts you need.

XSive regards,

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Ron

To save my self some time by not having to type so much, I described the damage in my 'I'm Home, post. I won't really know what I'll need until I am well enough to tear into it, or unless I can get SWMBO to do it. Thanks for the offer though.

Comment

Congrats Ron!! Glad it's up and running again!!

What did you do about the pipes?
          Don
          99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

"What did you do about the pipes?"

'took the stock exhaust system off the 80 LG - it has so many issues it might be a year or two before that one is functioning correctly...

I ***LOVE*** the sound of the STOCK system, and have been religated to 4-into-1, and bad after market 4-into-2 systems the past year. I liked the 4-into-1 for performance by couldn't use my center stand...

...I'm shutting down the shop so I can go riding for a couple of hours...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Well done! Ride on!
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Glad you and the bike are well and functioning Ron!
                Just wondering what kind of windshield that is. Any trouble with buffetting directed right at your helmet?
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Dean,
                  that's a SS28 windscreen - 'got it off eBay for $20 or so... it mounts to the handlebars and fork tubes with clamps. 'used it last summer before I got a Pacifico fairing... the fairing was crushed in the accident - I sure miss it...

Yeah, you get some buffering with the SS28 but I have a helmet faceshield you can flip up at stoplights so that actually takes most of the wind blast - they're a great combination.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                  X