Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike jumps when...?

Hey all,
    My bike wants to jump when its in gear and shut off when you punch the starter, I know its not supposed to, and I saw somewhere online that it has to do with a neutral switch fault, but I cant seem to find the page now that I need it. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks
    BAUER

anybody have any info on this????

BAUER

Comment

Hey Bauer,

IF the bike is lurching when it's in gear and you've got the clutch lever pulled in, and your hitting the starter button, then it has nothing to do with the neutral switch/light indicator! You need to read about and perform the proper clutch adjustment per the tech tip at the engine case cover, and then reset the slack at the handlebar. IF the bike is lurching, then the clutch is not fully disengaging! I can start mine either in neutral, or in gear with the clutch pulled in. The indicator is merely an indicator, it is not tied into the ignition!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

sorry, I didnt word my question quite right.

When I have the bike in gear, clutch lever out, engine off and I hit the starter, the bike lurches forward, it works just fine with the lever in.

Ive been diggin through the history pages to see if I can find what I saw, but its about impossible.
        BAUER

Comment

Dumb question but how thick is the oil? Bike lungging foward on start up has got to be in the clutch. Either the clutch plates are sticking ( hence, thick oil or broken ) or the clutch plates are sticking. Either way, the clutch plate are some how sticking. That is the ONLY thing it can be. Electrical is not going to make it lungge. I would check the COMPLETE adjustment and check the oil. If they are fine, then I would be pulling a cover and checking the clutch plates.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BauersXS11SF
            sorry, I didnt word my question quite right.

When I have the bike in gear, clutch lever out, engine off and I hit the starter, the bike lurches forward, it works just fine with the lever in.

Ive been diggin through the history pages to see if I can find what I saw, but its about impossible.
            What you described above is normal, since the 79 doesn't have the clutch safety cutout switch that would normally NOT allow the starter to engage, but since the 79 doesn't have that feature, then the bike is doing a normal thing, the clutches are grabbing because the lever isn't keeping them apart, and when you try to start the motor, the turning action of the motor turns the clutches, and therefore the tranny and rear wheel causing it to lurch. SO...just need to be sure it's in neutral or have the clutch pulled in when starting!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yup, mine does the same thing. Neutral light is just an indicator light, not a safety switch like on a car. These bikes WILL lurch forward and start with it in gear.
              To warm up the bike while I put on my jacket and helmet, I used to just walk over to it and hit the button. Till the one day that I had left it parked it in gear. Hit the button... bike lurched forward, fired, and tried to ride to work without me!
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
              X