Transmission, rough 2nd and 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission, rough 2nd and 4th

I've read the tech tips on the 2nd gear problem. My 79sf wants to grind a little going into 2nd and 4th. 2nd shifts much better if you apply upward pressure to the shifter before clutching, 4th is a little harder to get clean shifts. it's nearly impossible to shift this bike fast without grinding one of them. Does this sound like a dog and slot grinding fix or more?

Ron
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Hey Ron,

I sounds more like a clutch not properly adjusted, and therefore not disengaging properly for shifting!? Have you done the adjustment at the engine case....as per the tech tip? And then after that, reset the slack at the handlebar. Then, if still problematic, you may want to pull the shift cover off and check to make sure the shift pawl is in proper alignment, there's a notch in the shift pawl, and there's a matching notch on the side of the shift drum shaft, and when the bike is in 2nd gear position, those two notches should line up with each other, IF not, then adjustments to the shift lever is needed to realign the pawl to the drum. Do a search for "alignment", and you'll probably find a post with photos showing the shift pawl and drum, I think I posted a useful picture recently to a response about a C-clip, the picture doesn't show the notches in alignment cause the bike was in 4th gear, but you can see the notches!

Also search for "hard shifting" threads, lots of discussions about driving and shifting techniques!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X