Any Ideas?? (Stuff found in oil pan.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas?? (Stuff found in oil pan.)

When I pulled the oil pan prepping to do the dremel fix I found a washer and a "c clip" in the pan. Any ideas where these could come from?? I've spent the past hour lookin at the Yamaha site and haven't figured it out yet.
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Pull the cover on the clutch and check there, as well as the cover on the tranny. They both have c clips and washers, I am thinking more though on your tranny side...could be wrong though. But I had em both apart, and damn near lost the clips...took two hours looking for them on the floor...lol
    80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

I just recently recovered from C clips falling off of the fork shaft on the shift pawl side of the tranny. THis resulted in the shift fork shaft sliding further into the clutch and breaking the gear that runs the oil pump. the break caused a chain reaction breaking the oil pump housing. I just got it back up and running. Hopefully none of my problems are your problems but be sure that when you put it all back together your C clips are tightly placed in their slots. I had to use a plyers and squeeze them closed a little more to assure a tight fit. Inspect your oil pump housing very well to make sure there are no cracks. Also the shift for shaft. I'm guessing that the C clip and washer you found belong to the "shift fork shaft gear" behind the clutch assembly. It's the gear that runs between the clutch and the oil pump gear. Hopfully no dammage. Good luck.

puv
      78 GL1000 superbike
      82 XJ1100 "now" project
      2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Comment

Hey Don,

Sounds like the end of the Shift Fork Shaft also, but not necessarily the end with the Gear on it. The other end that sticks out into the shift cover left side, the shift pawl mechanism rides on it, see pic:

Then under the shift pawl is another "C" clamp, but doubtful that that's the one!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Looks like puv is right on the clip! It's from the other end of the shaft by the clutch. Yhay one is missing. Would the washer be from that side? It's the same diameter as the clip.

Thanks guys!!

BTW the bolt on the clutch was 2 lbs vs 52 lbs...... I hope the next bolt is like that!!
          Don

Comment

Don07, heres a pic of my lovely oil pan. Courtesy of some bumbling previous owner.
            http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~patrick/shrapnel.jpg

Comment

Yes Don the washer goes in front of the gear and then the C clip. Be sure to inspect the gears and the oil pump for cracks. Sounds like you caught it before something bad happened. Good luck.

puv
              78 GL1000 superbike
              82 XJ1100 "now" project
              2000 Intruder 1400

Comment

Based on your advice, I went ahead and pulled the oil pump, the case seems fine. Thanks for the heads up. I'm doing the grinding this evening and hopefully can start putting it back together tomorrow!!

Hope everything goes back in better than it came out!!
                Don

Comment

I did the grind on mine and the grind was easier than I had expected. My problems came after I put it all back together. Just be sure that the C clips are tight in the slots when you replace them. Mine were sloppy and it resulted in breaking that shift fork shaft gear and breaking the housing on the oil pump. Thankfully there are a lot of helpful people on this forum and I was able to get the parts replaced quickly. I am waiting for a couple of tranny gaskets and I'm back on the road (minus a little upper end noise that I have to figure out). Good to hear all parts are OK. Good luck.

puv
                  78 GL1000 superbike
                  82 XJ1100 "now" project
                  2000 Intruder 1400

Comment

I put it all together this weekend and test drove the bike. I didn't put enough of a grind on it and am going to tear it down again.

It shifts into 2nd and I have a fifth gear now. But, when I put any pressure on 2nd it chatters out. I was real conservitive on the grind because the dogs looked good on the gear.

We'll all be home tomorrow and the plan is to flip it again in the morning. It won't take near as long to do this time and hope to finish it again by Tuesday evening.
                    Don

Comment

Hey Don,

You don't need to worry about taking too much off of the dogs, Yamaha overengineered them with strength! I worked on an XJ with such a severe 2nd gear that I used a CUT OFF disc and cut about a full mm off the edge of each dog to get back to a flat surface because they were so badly rounded off and worn!!! Remember, you want a slight UNDERCUT angle, not just parallel to each other! Sorry you have to go back in, but like you said, experience will help you do it much faster this time, but still be careful, the clutch is so delicate and easily fubared! Uh, you did remember to use locktite on those 3 torx bolts on the bearing cap/oil galley of the countershaft didn't you?
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Sure did TC! I got it ready to turn over this afternoon and three of us did it. I had time to pull all the covers. Should take a couple of hours to finish it off tomorrow.

All my bolts, clips, and gaskets were fine. With luck, I'll test drive again soon.
                        Don

Comment

I found those same parts (washer and c-clip) in my oil pan recently. Haven't tried locating where they went though; this threads helped me figure out my problem! I'm confused though: when you say clutch side, are you guys talking about clutch side of the shaft as viewed with the oil pan removed, or clutch side as in under the clutch side cover?
                          Corey J. Bennett
                          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Hey Corey,

The Clutch side is the same, the right side of the engine as you sit on it. When you're viewing the engine from the bottom pan, you're viewing the Tranny and the gear shafts, but not the clutch!

The above pictures were of the Gear Shift side, that's more likely where the C-clip and washer came from, but it could also come from the Clutch Side.

Below shows the clutch side, basket removed, the upper right gear is the primary gear from the primary chain from the crank, the bottom right gear is the oil pump, there's a gear between the clutch shaft and oil pump....that's the shift fork shaft and gear!

I'd pull the Gear shift cover off first, easier and less work total if that's where it came from. IF it came from the shift fork shaft, then you'll have to disassemble the clutch to get to it!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks TC! I don't think the washer/clip came from the shifter side, however, as I had it off recently and noted the clip in place (...I think... lousy fallible memory!). So its sounding like I'm going to be tearing that clutch off here soon. Sure glad I bought that Clymer's book!
                              Corey J. Bennett
                              '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                              X