power loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power loss

This morning i am riding to work, doing about 70 on the highway when all of the suddon bike dies, i mean no power of any kind, lights horn all power dead. pull over on the side of the road. start to get a little worried. no tools highway, not fun. pull the side cover off look at fuses all look good, i am thinking what the hell. just for the heck of a kinda of tap on the main fuse all power back. think ok lets ride. i go about 2 miles and same thing happens this time i pull into a gas station. same fix power back ..

now my question is can i just bypass the main fuse by just hard wiring so this does not happen again? or does it have to have this fuse. connectors are a little loose and not to mention old. afraid that they might break if adjusted.
    Gary Chenoweth
    1979 xs 1100 standard w/mods "cujo" Nows needs a home
    Some mods include:
    stage 2
    4 to 1
    pods
    need paint help on tank though.

other bikes are:
    03 shadow
    01 monster
    93 gsxf 650/mods

Gary,

Suggest you replace the whole fuse box, or this is bound to happen again. Do a search here for fuse box fix.

Comment

my bike was re-wired by P.O. no fusebox any more, just inline fuses.

23,000 miles and no problems.

Comment

Gary;
        You do need to replace the fuse block!
        My bike had the fix when I got it, and I have not had any problems with the electrical.
        The easy fix is buy 4 of the yellow wire blade fuse connectors, disconnect the battery, and replace the circuts one at a time. Just unbolt the fuse block, and look from the back to replace wires one at a time. should be all of about 45 minutes.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

replace the fuse

just to get to the auto parts store replace the fuse. It's probly giving away in the metal cap and will break for good one of your fixes soon. then do the proper fix like stated above. I'm dence and replaced mine with another glass fuse type (they didn't have the new style on hand) But as soon as i see the blade style fuse holders you know i'm there..
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
          X