No 2nd Gear??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 2nd Gear??

I just picked up a fine looking 81 Midnight Special this weekend and the PO mentioned that he couldn't engage 2nd gear. I'm assuming it isn't the dremal fix type of problem. Should I go ahead and order a new fork or could there be other issues. If so, which fork will I need??

I'll be dropping the oil pan in the next day or so to see if there are teeth or other assorted parts in the oil drainage area.

The bike sounds fine and I couldn't hear any grinding loading it into the truck but was afraid to test drive at all after reading posts here on the site.
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Don,
    good question: what's the deal with 2nd gear(?)

I too, am picking up a midnight special and it's 2nd gear has problems...

1st: go to Tech Tips, and scroll down to Transmissions.
    There's several posts there about tranny problems/fixes

I'm breaking out the digital and a 35mm w/macro to document everything I do to this bike. I'd like to do the 'video-thang' but this is going to be my 'main vehicle' so time is a major factor...

Ron (UncleSpot)

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Thanks Ron, I've got the tech tips ready to go if it needs the dremel fix.

The way I read the tech tips is that if it needs the dremel fix, the bike falls out of 2nd gear.

The problem with mine is the bike won't even go into 2nd gear. That's why I suspect a shifting fork.
      Don

Comment

Will it go into ANY gear, or is it totally stuck?

If it will go between 1st and neutral, it "might" be a very simple fix. On the end of the shift drum, there are several small chrome pins that have been known to fall out on occasion. When you move the shift lever, it moves a part with a hook on each end to grab these pins and rotate the shift drum up or down a gear. If one fell out, then the drum can't move into second gear. Check the manual to be sure, but I believe it's right under the left side engine cover.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

I got it out this evening and briefly rode it to find out what the issues are before I tear into it.

2nd gear does shift in but pops back out. I guess it's time to prep for the dremel fix.

Cosmetically the bike is an 8+. It was layed down though on one side.
          The carbs need a good cleaning.
          The idle screws were 5 turns open so I closed them to the 1 and a quarter.
          The stock air box is partially gone, top and bottom there but missing the hookups to the carbs.
          There are individual air filters on it to replace the air box.
          One mirror has broken glass.
          The locking side cover lock is missing.
          Petcocks leak slightly I forgot to turn them off this weekend so gas got in the oil.
          Seat has a slight tear.

Most of these are easy fixes and I'm looking forward to tearing into my first transmission.
          Don

Comment

Hey Don,

Just check your shift fork closely, cause if the PO abused it, then ?he? could have used his foot to hold 2nd gear in place, which puts undo pressure on the fork and gear causing groove to be cut into the fork..since its aluminum, and the gears are hardened steel! Take it easy, and good luck!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC got your directions and Kens replacing pages printed out. I started prepping the bike today, I'll finish the prep in the morning then get my wife and twin girl teenagers out there to help me turn the bike upside down. (Which will be a challenge in itself... The girls drive...)
              Don

Comment

Working...
              X